Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

ABS BRAKES ARE THERE ANY CONS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:56 PM
dumoore
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ABS BRAKES ARE THERE ANY CONS

I have a 05 RK with ABS...it made changing out my rotors a little more challenging

Old 02-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hahahaha lay the bike down to avoid a collision
Not since bikes have had front brakes has this been a valid argument.

Still, your choice to not have and at least for the time being is still a choice with a new bike.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:02 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Romero01

I've been riding for about 25+ years. Almost bought an 08 just for the ABS feature. About one month into evaluation discovered that dealers are only ordering about 1/3 of new bikes with feature. Problem, if you've ever experienced it is this--- if you've ever had to lay the bike down before a collision with a cage ( I've done it twice) you can not- I repeat --you can not lock and rear brake and lay the bike down on its side. After a long period of consideration, and even though I pull a trailer on long trips ( over 2m miles) I'll never have one. As I said, its not for all and several dealers ( off the record) will tell you this same negative. Good luck, ride safe!
Troll.................??????????

Old 02-03-2008, 04:14 AM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain

I have been riding for 46 years & love the ABS on my 08.I ordered mine with em.Next time you drive your car or truck w/ABS try this.Slam on the brakes,let off the pedal for a split second,then hit them again.ABS is defaulted & viva:wheels lock!Harley new what they were doing when they kept the front & rear brakes separate,unlike the BMWs.Oh yes!They will lock up for the occational lay down if you are so inclined or is that declined?LOL!Regards,Tom

I've been riding for about 25+ years. Almost bought an 08 just for the ABS feature. About one month into evaluation discovered that dealers are only ordering about 1/3 of new bikes with feature. Problem, if you've ever experienced it is this--- if you've ever had to lay the bike down before a collision with a cage ( I've done it twice) you can not- I repeat --you can not lock and rear brake and lay the bike down on its side. After a long period of consideration, and even though I pull a trailer on long trips ( over 2m miles) I'll never have one. As I said, its not for all and several dealers ( off the record) will tell you this same negative. Good luck, ride safe!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:07 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,128 Likes on 5,320 Posts

if you've ever had to lay the bike down before a collision with a cage ( I've done it twice) you can not- I repeat --you can not lock and rear brake and lay the bike down on its side. After a long period of consideration, and even though I pull a trailer on long trips ( over 2m miles) I'll never have one.
With all due respect, Mr. Romero, it seems your decision-making ability is a good match for your riding technique. Lay your bike down deliberately? Twice? Lock the rear brake deliberately? Can you spell "high side"? Here's my suggestion: Take the roughly $750 you save by not buying ABS and (a) take a quality riding course and (b) buy more life insurance.

The fact that you've been riding for 25 years means absolutely nothing. Pilots have a saying: There are pilots who have flown 10,000 hours, and pilots who have flown one hour 10,000 times.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:30 PM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain

Good one,I'll second that.Regards,Tom
ORIGINAL: OldBoldPilot

if you've ever had to lay the bike down before a collision with a cage ( I've done it twice) you can not- I repeat --you can not lock and rear brake and lay the bike down on its side. After a long period of consideration, and even though I pull a trailer on long trips ( over 2m miles) I'll never have one.
With all due respect, Mr. Romero, it seems your decision-making ability is a good match for your riding technique. Lay your bike down deliberately? Twice? Lock the rear brake deliberately? Can you spell "high side"? Here's my suggestion: Take the roughly $750 you save by not buying ABS and (a) take a quality riding course and (b) buy more life insurance.

The fact that you've been riding for 25 years means absolutely nothing. Pilots have a saying: There are pilots who have flown 10,000 hours, and pilots who have flown one hour 10,000 times.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:24 AM
fxstcguy98
Road Master

Wow 15 replies and not one con to ABS. I got one, ABS brings you one step closer to riding a Gold Wing. What's next a fully enclosed riding capsule? Why in God's name would you want ABS on a Harley? Learn how to ride.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
docsouce
Cruiser

I have a partially linked system on my BMW 1100s. Partially linked means when I pull on the front brake both brakes apply. When I step on the rear brake only the rear applies. I find the front brake to be very touchy, as would be expected because it is linked. The rear feels normal..As would be expected. Once a week I engage the brakesto the point where the ABS kicks in. I'm usually running60mph on a straight dry road. I do this because it is a very strange sensation when the ABS kicks in and when and if I'm in a panic stop, the last thing I need is something completly different happening with the braking. It takes some getting used to it really does.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain

5 THOUSAND FRENCHMEN CAN'T BE WRONG.lol Regards,Tom
ORIGINAL: fxstcguy98

Wow 15 replies and not one con to ABS. I got one, ABS brings you one step closer to riding a Gold Wing. What's next a fully enclosed riding capsule? Why in God's name would you want ABS on a Harley? Learn how to ride.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
fxstcguy98
Road Master

I stand corrected, two cons. lol. BTW the learn how to ride comment wasn't directed toward anyone, just a general statement.
ORIGINAL: TOMCENTRAL

5 THOUSAND FRENCHMEN CAN'T BE WRONG.lol Regards,Tom
ORIGINAL: fxstcguy98

Quick Reply: ABS BRAKES ARE THERE ANY CONS