Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Has anyone cut their windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 03:17 PM
skyking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone cut their windshield?

I've always subscribed to the theory that you should look over a motorcycle windshield, not through it. I don't like to look through it because of the glare and distortion from the curve of the plastic. I noticed that the top of the windshield on my RK is right in my line of sight, so if I stretch my neck, I look over. If I squat down, I look through. I called the dealer, and they offered to sell me a 4" shorter replacement shield for a mere $125! I took some measurements and came to the conclusion that if the shield were 2" to 3" inches shorter, that would do the trick. So, I dropped the shield off at a plastic manufacturing company yesterday. By next week, I will have a 3" shorter shield. Have any of you gone this route? Were you pleased with the results?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 02-16-2005, 03:48 PM
roadape
3rd Gear
Default RE: Has anyone cut their windshield?

Rick:
I had the same problem with my 2003 Electra Glide & 04 Softtail. Fortunately I live close to
Rifle & they cut 2" off for $35. I am extremely pleased with the result.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:15 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

For some reason my windshield looked like it was for a NBA forward who was at least 7' tall. I took mine to a local plastic speciality company (who also makes boat windshields) and they cut, polished and buffed mine for $50... It looked like new, or maybe better.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:18 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Skyking,

I have cut several for myself, my wife, and friends. Here's how:

Make a template from the existing curve. Move the template down to were you want the cut to be. cover that area with masking tape on both sides to prevent scratches. Mark the tape following the template with a magic marker. Use a fine blade recrociating skill (jig) saw and cut off about 1/4 of an inch higher than you want. Now use a belt sander with some pretty fine paper to take the edge to exactly where you want it and get everything smooth and even. When it is where you want it, finish the edge with very fine sand paper, and remove the tape.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-16-2005, 06:39 PM
JosephJ
Intermediate
Default Had my factory sheild cut

Yup, had to cut the factory shield on my E-glide too. Used a 'Plastics' guy here in the Denver area ~ $35.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out...I had to cut it, the upper edge was right in my line of site.

Anyway if your interested here is the contact info for who I used.

Chad's Custom Plastics Inc.
303-979-3309/303-881-1909

Old 02-16-2005, 09:24 PM
skyking
Tourer
Default RE: Had my factory sheild cut

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to tackle it myself, since I can't even draw a straight line. I figured for $40 I couldn't go wrong. This is probably the cheapest modification I will ever make to the bike. I just hope 3" does it.

Rick

Old 02-17-2005, 12:53 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I was considering doing this at one time, and ordered a shorty instead. If you are on an EG, I'll tell you what Pococj told me...

Cut it at the bottom. Now all you have to do is drill three holes and you don't have to worry about how the cut looks as it will be inside the fairing...

Mac

Old 02-17-2005, 02:16 AM
skyking
Tourer

Mac,

Unfortunately, this is not an option with the RK shield. Hopefully it comes out like I'm expecting...

Rick

Old 02-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically just like bill said, however instead of a template, I used a string with a marker attached to one end. Placed the string at the bottom center of the shield and drew a radius across it. I ended up cutting 5" out of my shield, and Im very happy with the results. I also thinks it makes the bike look better.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:43 PM
ApeKing
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Windshield? We don' need no steenking windshield!

Quick Reply: Has anyone cut their windshield?