Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

adding more rake to a LowRider

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:48 AM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding more rake to a LowRider

I have an 03 lowrider and want to get more of a rake (I like the chopper look) Is it better to get a wide glide front end or is there something else I can do? What are the pros and cons raking the front end?What parts do I need to replace?

Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: adding more rake to a LowRider

You've already got 32 degrees of rake. Isn't that enough? It's the same as the Wide Glide. Don't use raked trees, you'll screw up the handling royally. Raking the frame is the only way.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 PM
AR_Guy
Tourer

I think the Low Rider is 29 degrees of rake, no? The Wide Glide is the only Dyna frame with 32.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:43 AM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've already got 32 degrees of rake. Isn't that enough? It's the same as the Wide Glide. Don't use raked trees, you'll screw up the handling royally. Raking the frame is the only way.
That statement is completely wrong! Rake does affect handling but how you get the rake is irrelevant. Rake is rake regardless if it's in the trees or the frame. Frame rakes look more professional, but tree rakes are alot more practical for people that don't want to swap frames and lose their Harley title, or have a machine shop cut their frame up. If you aren't going to compete in bike shows, rake the trees and ride3 hours later with lots of extra cash in your pocket.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 PM
AR_Guy
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Gigawitz

That statement is completely wrong! Rake does affect handling but how you get the rake is irrelevant. Rake is rake regardless if it's in the trees or the frame. Frame rakes look more professional, but tree rakes are alot more practical for people that don't want to swap frames and lose their Harley title, or have a machine shop cut their frame up. If you aren't going to compete in bike shows, rake the trees and ride 3 hours later with lots of extra cash in your pocket.
Sorry, you are mistaken on this. Please read the link below.

Raked triple trees

Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

'05 & earlier Lowriders share the same frame as WGs thus having 32° rake. I've read that the 3° raked trees don't affect handling very noticeably.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

ORIGINAL: AR_Guy

ORIGINAL: Gigawitz

That statement is completely wrong! Rake does affect handling but how you get the rake is irrelevant. Rake is rake regardless if it's in the trees or the frame. Frame rakes look more professional, but tree rakes are alot more practical for people that don't want to swap frames and lose their Harley title, or have a machine shop cut their frame up. If you aren't going to compete in bike shows, rake the trees and ride3 hours later with lots of extra cash in your pocket.
Sorry, you are mistaken on this. Please read the link below.

Raked triple trees
Try here & download the rake & trail calculator. Read than read a little more. It is irrevelent what bike is the example, however the final results are what is importaint. There is nothing for sale for any one of you here because I de-rake my frames and make them handle. I do not need to look cool, but you'll learn something. For your information, the FL models all have raked triple trees. That is maybe why they are getting sued?

http://motorcyclemetal.com/subpage6.html
http://motorcyclemetal.com/Download.html

Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem to know what you are talking about what do you think of putting a midglide front end from hawg halters on a lowrider 2003