Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Why have a wide front end?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:05 AM
Vegasjud
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why have a wide front end?

What is the benefit of having a wide front end (Wide glide Dyna vs standard Dyna)? Besides having a different look, is the wide front more stable , heavier, harder to turn at low speeds. Please chime in and give me the pros and cons. All opinions are accepted. Thanks

Old 12-17-2005, 10:15 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Why have a wide front end?

The wide glide forks are just for looks. The narrow ones handle better at all speeds. However, with the much thicker forks on the new Dynas- 49mm vs. 39mm- their wider front end probably doesn't hurt the handling at all.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:07 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

The wide front end will make the bike feel a bit lighter and handle a bit quicker.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:15 AM
FXDWG3
Cruiser

MP, let me correct you typo error. Make that 41mm and 39mm diameters.
ORIGINAL: mp

The wide glide forks are just for looks. The narrow ones handle better at all speeds. However, with the much thicker forks on the new Dynas- 49mm vs. 39mm- their wider front end probably doesn't hurt the handling at all.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:10 AM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It looks good also. Tim

Old 12-31-2005, 08:29 PM
8 UP
Cruiser

I'm not shure, but I think the wide glides have A 3 degree rake in the trees and 4" longer tubes.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: 8 UP

I'm not shure, but I think the wide glides have A 3 degree rake in the trees and 4" longer tubes.
I believe thats 2 and 2.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:13 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

The wide front end will make the bike feel a bit lighter and handle a bit quicker.
A "wide front end" will make the bike handle a bit quicker over the standard Dyna/Sporty 39mm tree assembly? Please enlighten us how it does this. Last thing you want is a wideglide front end if quick and nimble handling are at the forefront of importance. What really determines quick steering is the overall rake and trail configuration. Downtubes kept in close proximity to the steering head also improve nimble response. Smaller and lighter downtubes and forks also help to keep COG of the bike centered properly and unsprung weight to a minumum. Alot of things to factor in.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:55 PM
msheldon
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman
What really determines quick steering is the overall rake and trail configuration.
Tire profiles also have a lot of influence. Touring tires often have a slightly flattened profile. Makes them very steady on long straights and gentle curves. Serious sport tires have an almost triangular profile, making the bike "fall" into the turns very easily, providing more tire contact area when leaned over (for grip), and less contact area when upright (reduces drag/friction). General-purpose/cruiser tires generally fall somewhere between these.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 PM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FXDWG3

MP, let me correct you typo error. Make that 41mm and 39mm diameters.
ORIGINAL: mp

Let me correct your correction. He was referring to the new dyna's which do have a 499mm front end.

Quick Reply: Why have a wide front end?