Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Squeeky from brake driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Hoopman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeeky from brake driving me nuts!

I am a proud new owner of a 2006 R Custom. Love everything about it but the squeeeeeeeeeeeky squeeeeling front brake.
Dealer said it needs to be used with more miles and will stop making the sound. I have 350 miles on the bike.

any ideas on how to put the muzzle on this pesky problem? Nothing like cruising up in my new ride with all my expensive new shiny add ons and having all head turn.... cuz of the brake! [:-]

Old 11-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Hoopman
Cruiser
Default RE: Squeeky from brake driving me nuts!

Road King Custom should have read

Old 11-29-2005, 08:01 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the pads, they may have cracked already. If not, clean them and the disc with disk brake cleaner. If it still squeeks, get new pads.
When you put the pads on (new or used) use that goopy stuff (anti-squeek) you can get from Harley, Kragen, Autozone, ....

Old 11-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Hoopman
Cruiser

forgive my ignorance since I know zip about brakes... can I sue the disk brake cleaner with the brakes as is or do the pads neeed to come off to treat it?
I know - stupid question!!!! But...

Old 11-30-2005, 09:28 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the front wheel is in alignment, follow the srevice manual many times the dealers do not check it in the PDI it needs to be centered properly

Old 11-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Nomadic RAM
Intermediate

Good Luck. I've got an '05 Ultra with 21,000 miles on it and the front brakes have squeeked since the odometer read 250 miles. I just replaced the pads on both front calipers with Lyndall "Z" pads, cleaned the calipers in accordance with Lyndall's superb instructions, and used Disk Brake Quiet (a blue goop) on the new pads. 300 miles later and the squeal is back!

Old 12-02-2005, 03:57 PM
FreedmRider
Road Captain

There is a problem with the Road King Custom brakes squealing more than other bikes. It has to do with the way the rotor mounts to the wheel. The squeak is due to harmonic vibration with the pad and rotors. I am no expert on this. There is a huge thread around here somewhere on it. Do not listen to the dealer, it will not go away with time. I was able to greatly minimize the squeak with some custom made washers. Basically pulled out the bolts that hold the rotor to the wheel, put in the custom washer and reinserted the bolts. The washer some how provides a greater surface for the bolt head, which in turn helped minimize the harmonic vibration reducing the squeak. I did not make the washers my self. Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:18 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hoopman

forgive my ignorance since I know zip about brakes... can I sue the disk brake cleaner with the brakes as is or do the pads neeed to come off to treat it?
I know - stupid question!!!! But...
You can try using the brake cleaner with pads in place. It might help.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:27 PM
stile45
Cruiser

I had same squeek y problem with my 05 RKC . One dealer said not much can be done . After taking my bike to a second dealer he
put the left rotor on the right side and right rotor on the left side, per hd . I now have 500 miles since and not one soueek yet. [:@]

Old 12-05-2005, 05:11 PM
jhnmflr
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the same problem . In my shop I use a product called BG ss608 it is a graphite composed liquid for squeeling problems on cars etc . It works well and stopped my squeek . If you like I can give you a bottle P.M. me .

Quick Reply: Squeeky from brake driving me nuts!