Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

2000 to 2007 Rear End Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2024, 07:30 PM
Tramp69
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 to 2007 Rear End Conversion

Hey all, I got a high torque 2000 Road King Classic, I keep an eye on my spokes but after a 500 mile run I found the rear spokes were real loose and the swing arm is cracked by the axle. I heard about guys converting to a 2007 swing arm and mag wheels...any opinions on this? What would be required to do this conversion? I'm an old school Shovelhead guy and my Twin Cam knowledge is limited.

Old 09-04-2024, 06:21 AM
Adam76
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a '98 FLHR that I'm also wanting to upgrade the swingarm.

The reason I want to upgrade is so that I can run a 2" lowering kit without worrying about cracking.

I'm keen to hear from those that have done the conversion -- what is the "simplest" way to get a stronger swingarm? What parts are needed from start to finish?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2024, 08:04 AM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,490 Likes on 788 Posts

I was looking into this conversion for my 2001 Road King because my swingarm was worn and close to cracking where the axle goes through on the belt side. Due to cost to convert, I ended up repairing/reinforcing my swingarm and modifying the belt side axle spacer to give more contact area at the swingarm. And I replaced cleve-blocks with solid bushings. Anyway, there are threads on here about doing the conversion. Parts list includes 2002-2007 swingarm, kit to account for different diameter pivot rod that goes through transmission, wheel/bearings/spacer, axle, spacers, cam adjuster things, brake caliper/rotor. If you go to narrow belt you need belt/rear sprocket, plus all gaskets/hardware to remove/replace belt. Depending on rim, you may need new tire. It's not really an Evo vs Twin Cam thing, the early Twin Cam touring bikes had same swingarm setup as the Evo bikes. Let me know if you want pics/info on what I did.

Last edited by Rob Harper; 09-04-2024 at 08:05 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 09-04-2024, 08:19 AM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,490 Likes on 788 Posts

Maybe user grbrown will show up in here. I think that's his name. He has lots of experience with this.

Old 09-04-2024, 05:55 PM
Adam76
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rob Harper
I was looking into this conversion for my 2001 Road King because my swingarm was worn and close to cracking where the axle goes through on the belt side. Due to cost to convert, I ended up repairing/reinforcing my swingarm and modifying the belt side axle spacer to give more contact area at the swingarm. And I replaced cleve-blocks with solid bushings.
.....Let me know if you want pics/info on what I did.
Thanks, I'm very interested in what you did - especially the reinforcing part.... What did you do exactly?

I'm also new to the touring frame, especially the swingarm set up as I've only ever owned softails.

What you did sounds like a good option for me, I'd love to hear it in a bit more detail.

Thanks.

Last edited by Adam76; 09-04-2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2024, 06:12 PM
Adam76
Road Master

What kit is the best to use?

Glide-Pro?
CCE retro fit ?
Sta-bo III ?

Old 09-04-2024, 06:29 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Did you feel the swingarm crack or notice handling? I got 90k on mine and have heard stories, but so far so good.

Old 09-04-2024, 07:08 PM
Tramp69
Stage III

Originally Posted by Rounders
Did you feel the swingarm crack or notice handling? I got 90k on mine and have heard stories, but so far so good.
I went into a death wobble at 85mph.... took it easy the rest of the way home, couldn't go over 50mph and way slower in the curves. Could wiggle the spokes with my fingers, then noticed the crack. I have 120,000 hard miles on her.

Old 09-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Tramp69
Stage III

Originally Posted by Rob Harper
I was looking into this conversion for my 2001 Road King because my swingarm was worn and close to cracking where the axle goes through on the belt side. Due to cost to convert, I ended up repairing/reinforcing my swingarm and modifying the belt side axle spacer to give more contact area at the swingarm. And I replaced cleve-blocks with solid bushings. Anyway, there are threads on here about doing the conversion. Parts list includes 2002-2007 swingarm, kit to account for different diameter pivot rod that goes through transmission, wheel/bearings/spacer, axle, spacers, cam adjuster things, brake caliper/rotor. If you go to narrow belt you need belt/rear sprocket, plus all gaskets/hardware to remove/replace belt. Depending on rim, you may need new tire. It's not really an Evo vs Twin Cam thing, the early Twin Cam touring bikes had same swingarm setup as the Evo bikes. Let me know if you want pics/info on what I did.
That's definitely something to consider... how long ago did you do that? Some pics would be cool, I'd like to see that.

Old 09-04-2024, 08:53 PM
Adam76
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rounders
Did you feel the swingarm crack or notice handling?
No, but I definitely know it's a problem that is also made much worse with a lowering kit installed. This upgrade is to prevent cracking.

Quick Reply: 2000 to 2007 Rear End Conversion