Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Stache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking

Have a 07 Heritage ,,,, photo below.

First .. I know it aint smart to ride with no hands .. .haveing said that ..

I notice with little or no pressure on the hand grips .. my bike leans and then tracks left. It does this at any speed, windshield or not, all bags and compartments empty. I can compensate to some degree by hanging my butt off the right side. I've ridden several other bikes and noticed many riders will take their hands off the grips all to gather and the bike tracks straight as an arrow.

I suspect something is not right in the alignment of the tires or frame. Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 08-30-2007, 07:08 PM
DCS
Advanced
Default RE: Tracking

07 FLSTC owner myself, is your pic on the Dragon's Tail? Me & the wife rode there last month.
When I let go of the bars of course you are letting go of the throttle as well and begin to decrease in speed pretty fast & my bike goes to the left as well. I have adjusted belt tension in the past during normal service intervals and also checked the rear whell allignment and know it is true. When runing under power my bike tracks straight,does notpull one way or the other even with the lightest amount of pressure from hands on bars as long as I have it under power it tracks straight. As soon as I take hands off throttle and bars off to the left it will go.

Maybe the ones who track straight with no hands have the throttle lock on or cruise control set? This may be way off but,would the left side of the bike be the heavier side due to the primary & when you let off of throttle & bars and begin to decline in speed pretty fast maybe the bike leans that way due to the extra weight?

Service Manual says to see if rear wheel is alligned measure from center of rear axle to center of rear forks pivot shaft and both sides should be within 1/32" of each other.

Later,
Dan

Old 08-31-2007, 07:05 AM
Stache
Cruiser

Thanks Dan

I will check that.

Yes, the photo was taken on Deal Gap. I live in NC and am able to travell up there a coupe times a year. I've been going to the Smokies since I was a kid. I would back pack up there a week at the time. Its a little different now with Pigion Forge and Dollywood ... sigh. Anyways, thanks for the tip.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 PM
philly59
Intermediate

dont forget engine allignment linkages.check to see if vertical allignment of front and rear wheel the same.easy check is a spirit level .make sure they both point straight up the same.