Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Would you go without front fender???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:27 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would you go without front fender???

I posted this on the softail forum too but thought I would try it here as well. I would like some advice on going without my front fender on my Heritage. We are going on a long trip here not just bar hopping so what do you all think...pro's and con's please. I worry about riding in the rain, rocks etc. The trip is this coming Friday so please let me know your thoughs. My bike is still in the shop being repaired from my accident of June 16th 2007. The shop is waiting for the fender to come from the factory and they told me that this usually takes six weeks or so. Anyway the front fender is not here yet and we have this ride planed so the only thing that the shop suggested to me was go without the fender. That is the one and only reason I would go without the front fender. This dealership is not a BIG dealership and they do not have parts like the front fender lying around nor do they rent Harley's so I don't have many options.

Cameron

Old 08-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Im2quic4u
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would you go without front fender???

I realy wouldnt you are going to make your bike a mess, possibly chip the paint, and in some places it is illegal to ride without a fender. If your in canada your likely in the same boat i am here. It only took me two blocks without a fender before i put it back on.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 AM
jbt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride locally without the front fender at times, since I really like the look. I always end up putting one (I have three!) back on. You get a surprising amount of grit kicked up by the tire on a constant basis, and on wet pavement, you get the water 'stripe' in your face- in fact, in the dark, you can see the vertical spray in the headlight.
Personally, I do it around town, but wouldn't take a long trip without it.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Going without a fender may be ok for bar hopping or cruising around the block ...but a road trip ... Not on your life. The fender is the only thing redirecting stuff like road debris and rocks, not to mention water and mud. There's nothing stopping that stuff from flying right up and into your face. Your vision would be somewhat impaired.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:03 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The bike I rode in the 70's had a 6" over glide front end and no front fender or brake. Let me tell you in the rain, you will get tired of dodging water, dirt, rocks and anything else the tire can pick up. The stream of water seems to hit you right between the eyes, and so you are constantly moving your head and not thinking about riding. It is a very unsafe practice. Advise from one that has been there, leave that front fender on. It serves a greater purpose..

Joe

Old 08-21-2007, 03:45 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

took mine off. i get wet sometimes. i get hit by objects sometimes. when it rains i just move my head to either side of the water windmill and i'm fine. doesn't get me any wetter, already wet cause it's raining anyways. don't seem to be getting hit by more objetcs with it off than on. wearing eye protection already so thats not a concern really. i've ridded from sf bay area to laughlin and it was fine. if you like how it looks without it take it off and try it out. worst comes to worst you put it back on. looks a little cleaner to me without it. my .02.