Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Frame damage/repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021 | 11:48 AM
Emdog
|
Cruiser
Default Frame damage/repair

I dont know that this question can be answered with certainty, but looking for educated probably or run away answer.

I'm looking at purchasing a 2019 FLTRXS that was hit in the front I'm told. Frame shop pulled the front of the frame back to oem specs. Rides well with no discernable shakes up to 75mph. I dont know a mechanic I could take to for confirmation. So my question is... yes, could easily have been fixed, or hell no run from that purchase.... It is priced about $10k under what it would cost with only 2000 miles on it and I realize they bought it back from ins and sre making some money on it...
Thanks

Old 07-30-2021 | 11:58 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

You say it rides "correctly"
I`d have no problem buying it if my goal was to keep and ride long term

JMO

The following 2 users liked this post by eighteight:
Emdog (07-30-2021), tngarren (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 02:17 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

I'd guess it has a salvage title.
Different states and Insurance company's can have rules about them.
If I can see paper work that states the frame was properly repaired I'd be willing to give it a hard look.
Then do some cking with the DMV and my insurance co.

Ya got a dealer near you ?

WP

The following users liked this post:
Emdog (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 02:37 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

My question would be if it has no head shake up to 75mph, does it shake like nobody's buisness over 75mph? The other issue is if you ever go to sell it you will be selling a salvage titled bike with prior frame damage that was pulled back to oem, most prospective buyers will lowball you or run like Hell. The one other concern is insuring a bike in your state with that kind of previous damage. Can you even get collision on a bike that already collided with something bad enough to do that kind of damage?

Emdog (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 03:14 PM
Emdog
|
Cruiser

Thanks folks! It does have a salvaged title. I didnt even think about possible trouble getting it insured. My gut says walk away and spend some more money, I'm such a cheap ***, lol.

Old 07-30-2021 | 03:21 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Emdog
Thanks folks! It does have a salvaged title. I didnt even think about possible trouble getting it insured. My gut says walk away and spend some more money, I'm such a cheap ***, lol.
I would just call your insurance company first and make sure its okay. Who knows? I'm just speculating. If you can insure it no problem then you can decide if a salvage bike is for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yamaharley:
Emdog (07-30-2021), tngarren (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 04:27 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

well, i bought a new 1974 ch in sept and took the front end off a 1972 chevy impala in jan 75. threw the frame on a steel table, welded in stops and then used controlled heat and hyd's to straighten out the frame to the FSM. still have it to this day with nearly 200k miles on it.
now if the cast steel pieces on the tree would have been cracked, diff story.
a couple of years ago, i restored the frame and added in a removable section of the frame so the oil pump could be pulled without taking the engine out. do i fear the frame, naw, i still ride hard and put up wet!.
http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1930124

Emdog (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 04:58 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Emdog
I dont know that this question can be answered with certainty, but looking for educated probably or run away answer.

I'm looking at purchasing a 2019 FLTRXS that was hit in the front I'm told. Frame shop pulled the front of the frame back to oem specs. Rides well with no discernable shakes up to 75mph. I dont know a mechanic I could take to for confirmation. So my question is... yes, could easily have been fixed, or hell no run from that purchase.... It is priced about $10k under what it would cost with only 2000 miles on it and I realize they bought it back from ins and sre making some money on it...
Thanks
I just finished this Copart 2020 Heritage salvage project. Bike had 600 miles on it and I've got almost $12K in it. USAA insured in 10 minutes (liability, no collision). I think it's a great option if you plan to keep and ride the do-do out of it. Buyers will balk and lowball at the point you decide to sell. Each year the delta between clean and salvage titles will close.

The following 2 users liked this post by tngarren:
eighteight (08-02-2021), Emdog (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 06:03 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tngarren
I just finished this Copart 2020 Heritage salvage project. Bike had 600 miles on it and I've got almost $12K in it. USAA insured in 10 minutes (liability, no collision). I think it's a great option if you plan to keep and ride the do-do out of it. Buyers will balk and lowball at the point you decide to sell. Each year the delta between clean and salvage titles will close.

Forget the heritage... I want to see more of that Honda Valkyrie! I love those bikes, fast as hell too.

Old 07-30-2021 | 08:15 PM
Emdog
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tngarren

Thanks man!

Quick Reply: Frame damage/repair