Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Lyndall Z pad break in ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Johneb48
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lyndall Z pad break in ??

I looked on the back of the package the Lyndall Zpads came in and there is no breakin procedure shown--front of package said "no breakin needed" . Several posts have said "follow the Z pad breakin procedure". Can someone tell me what the proper breakin procedure is if I need to?

Old 08-02-2007, 06:53 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Lyndall Z pad break in ??

The Z pads do not require a break in.
The others do. You got the right ones.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 AM
1CrazyTrain
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Performance Testing Lyndall Racing Brakes New "Z Pad"
We decided to test out Lyndall Racing Brakes New Z Pad on our 2003 Dyna Wideglide "test mule". The New Z Pad offers all the benefits of the previous Gold Pad by Lyndall, (superior stopping power, 20-40% longer wear life than OEM) but without the burnishing break-in period. To ensure accurate and fair results, we made three 40 mph passes and then hard stopped (to the edge of tire lock-up). We then measured the distance it took to stop using our stock Harley pads and took an average of the three distances. The average of all three passes from 40 mph was 80.5 feet
Next we took the test mule into the shop to swap out the stock brakes for Lyndall's new "Z Pads" part #7195-Z. First the bike was secured to the lift. A jack was used in conjunction to help stabilize the bike and unload the rear suspension in order to detach the rear shock.
Next, with the bike stable. We proceeded to remove the stock rear bolts from the caliper. Note: You will need either a 1/4 12 point wrench or thin wall socket.
We loosened both rear caliper pad bolts and gently used a flat screwdriver (or you could use a brake spoon) to push the pads between the rotor and the caliper to allow needed clearance for the new thicker pads. (This pushes the caliper pistons in.)
On our particular application, we had a caliper bolt clearance problem with the shock. (Your application may or may not have this issue.) In order to allow clearance for the bolt to be removed, we needed to remove the lower shock bolt. (Remember our bike was stabilized and suspension unloaded first.) Once the lower shock bolt was removed, we simply turned the lower portion of the shock out of the way and removed the caliper pad bolt.[center][IMG]http://www.cyclespot.com/images/Shock_Interference.jpg[/im

Old 08-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Joe;

I am currently scouring on-line looking for Lyndall pads for my RKC.
In your opinion, should I be going for the Z Plus pads instead of the Golds??

Thanks.

CN

Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

Just spoke to the Canadian rep for Lyndall. (in my city)
I'm going with Z Plus pads all around.

CN

Old 08-02-2007, 09:21 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

personally i stay with the stock pads in the rear, it locks up too easy as is....

Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My next set will be the Z pads (currently running stock pads). The Z's have an advertised life span of 18000 miles, whereas the Gold's have an advertised life span of less than 10,000, given the fact that they are a slightly softer compound, intended for high performance use.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:38 AM
1CrazyTrain
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Comfortably Numb

I'm going with Z Plus pads all around.

Have a friend that got the Z Plus pads all around and he was very satisfied. And no, he never complained about them locking up easily in the rear.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 AM
spence
Tourer

I installed z pads up front when I did chrome sliders, What a difference. No noise no dust and better response.
I have some for the rear That will go on soon. Stock one's are killing my spokes.
spence

Old 08-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

Have a friend that got the Z Plus pads all around and he was very satisfied. And no, he never complained about them locking up easily in the rear.
Yup...I've been told the Lyndalls in the rear caliper will outperform the stockers....and will be LESS likely to lock up as easily.
It's Lyndall Zs for me, and not the Golds.....all around.

Quick Reply: Lyndall Z pad break in ??