Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front fork dampener valve installed wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020 | 08:26 PM
08 E-GLIDE
|
Intermediate
Default Front fork dampener valve installed wrong?

Hey gang. Rebuilding the front forks on a 2008 Ultra Classic. Once I got the fork disassembled I noticed that it was NOT assembled in the same way as the Clymer manual pictures. I have included the Clymer diagram along with a photo of how my forks came apart.

My main concern is that the damper valve (item 7 in diagram) was underneath the spring (item 8 in diagram). The fork cap bolt (item 1 in diagram) was screwed down directly onto the spring. The Clymer manual obviously shows the opposite with the dampener valve being between the fork cap bolt and the spring.

My question is, did whoever assemble these forks last make a mistake or is something else going on here that escapes me?

How my fork came apart. Notice the dampener valve at the bottom side of the spring.

Clymer manual

Last edited by 08 E-GLIDE; 04-21-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2020 | 09:07 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master

I don’t see the pics you are referring to, so with that said it sounds like the Clymer manual is incorrect. The dampener Should be under the spring like it was when disassembled.

Old 04-21-2020 | 09:09 PM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Old 04-21-2020 | 09:10 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Clymer Wrong ... You Right

Btw, #7 would NEVER work correctly in Clymer's position

Old 04-21-2020 | 09:22 PM
08 E-GLIDE
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the help folks!

Cheers!

Old 04-22-2020 | 08:14 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Now you know why so many people say the only manual to use is the one that costs an arm and a leg...

Old 04-22-2020 | 08:47 AM
08 E-GLIDE
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Now you know why so many people say the only manual to use is the one that costs an arm and a leg...
With all things considered, in the last 3 weeks I have replaced the pistons, cylinders, heads, stereo, half of the suspension, replaced every seal and bearing along the way and swapped out the entire transmission using the Clymer manual. During this front fork rebuild was the only time I found an error in the book (and I've gone through almost all of it by now). Luckily I have some mechanical experience and decent instincts which told me something was wrong. Between these forums, Google & You-Tube a person doesn't even need a manual these days however, a manual is nice since it puts all of the information in one place. With that said, there is always somebody who has done it before and has created a how to video, a tutorial or who hangs out in forums answering questions. The internet age is a wonderful thing - IF you have the time to research stuff.

Not to sound overly defensive because I'm not trying to be but frankly I am very content with my Clymer manual. It has done me extremely well and I would recommend it to anybody on a budget. I suspect many people who praise the HD manual while looking down their noses at others are the same types of people who look down on Honda's, Victory's or even Indians at the stop light simply because they don't have an HD badge stuck to the side of them. Being brand specific isn't my cup of tea - good, bad or otherwise.

Old 04-22-2020 | 10:04 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by 08 E-GLIDE

Not to sound overly defensive because I'm not trying to be but frankly I am very content with my Clymer manual. It has done me extremely well and I would recommend it to anybody on a budget
It clearly has not done you extremely well, it had the fork assembly sequence wrong...

Luckily you were able to ask on a forum, and get answers from people who don`t use the Clymer manual for anything other than a doorstop.

On second thought, I highly suggest you continue to use the Clymer manual.

Bye

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-22-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2020 | 10:08 AM
08 E-GLIDE
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
It clearly has not done you extremely well, it had the fork assembly sequence wrong...

Luckily you were able to ask on a forum, and get answers from people who don`t use the Clymer manual for anything other than a doorstop.

On second thought, I highly suggest you continue to use the Clymer manual.

Bye
Oh! The sensitive type. Sorry Cupcake.

Old 04-22-2020 | 10:25 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08 E-GLIDE
With all things considered, in the last 3 weeks I have replaced the pistons, cylinders, heads, stereo, half of the suspension, replaced every seal and bearing along the way and swapped out the entire transmission .
I`ll skip the manual debate and say that`s a lot of work for 3 weeks. Congrats on your project.

The following users liked this post:
08 E-GLIDE (04-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Front fork dampener valve installed wrong?