Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Fork Brace Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 10:36 AM
trooperspirit
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Brace Help

Hopefully someone on here can help......

I have a lower fork brace / yoke / triple tree, whatever you wish to call it with a headlamp mount on it, I am trying to identify as to which model Harley it is from so I can replace it, hopefully someone will either recognize the pics or be able to help with the code stamped on the underside, I have noticed the different yokes I have all have different code numbers stamped on the under side. This particular one is for 39mm forks and is off an FXDX with a front end change to single disc, it is stamped RX8747 on the underside.

If anyone can help would appreciate it.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hello old chap, from somewhere else in England! You and I normally call that a bottom yoke, however H-D calls it a lower bracket. You can see parts diagrams on this website. That RX number is not a normal H-D part number, so may be a manufacturing code, which is unlikely to be much help. CHeck out Ronnies on that link and I suggest you visit the Dyna section, where you should find many m ore members to help.

Bear in mind that HDF is US based, so most of the members live there. There are sources of supply from the USA, however shipping costs to the UK can be high and there will be import taxes due when they reach our shores. If you want more info I can advise.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:30 AM
trooperspirit
Novice

Thanks GRBrown

I was hoping beyond all hope that there many be a list of the stamped numbers that would denote with lower yoke, bracket, tree, whatever it is as I cannot tie this yoke down at all, I only know it is Harley. Thanks for your reply though I will try the link and keep searching.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:52 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

That's a 2001-03 FXDX-T lower tree # 47751-01 ... (no longer available through HD)

Apparently you do not have a FXDX-T? ... If you don't need that tree's unique features, there would be other substitutes

BTW, Who pushed out the Stem?

Last edited by multihdrdr; 10-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:00 PM
trooperspirit
Novice

Hi Multihdrdr

Firstly thank you for confirming the part number for me, I thought it might be that, I do have a Dyna that according to it's log book is an FXDXT however it has had a lot of bits swapped around, does not have the fxdxt forks, and only has a single disc on the front along with a few other bits, what I didn't know was how much of the front end had been swapped, now I know the yokes weren't sadly I can't replace it, as I can't find one and as you said OE HD ones are no longer available.

I do have a set of standard Dyne 39mm Yokes to swap to which will help answer your other question, I pushed the stem out on my workshop press, why do you ask? the reason for that is the stem on the other yolks I have have been mullered by someone trying to hammer it out rather than pressing it, so I need to replace the stem.
Thanks again guys for your help with the ID...……..

Old 10-06-2019, 02:18 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Yes, by all means use the other Std Trees

What does the existing Top Tree look like? ... curious if it also a "T" model ... have a pic?

I ask about the stem removal because it looks a little funky there at the hole ...
It's seems that a lot of people press it it out the in the wrong direction (it's a bit counter-intuitive).
For Removal, it gets pressed on the Threaded side (top) NOT the Snap Ring side (bottom)

Old 10-06-2019, 02:57 PM
trooperspirit
Novice

Don't have a pic of the top tree to hand but will get one for you to quench your curiosity.

The stem was pressed out the right way, not the first one I've done lol.

The hole looking funky is a combination of me removing the circlip and a bad case of a rubbish powder coat job done without proper prep, the damage inside the hole I am assuming was done by the dodgy Eastern European so called custom builders who built the bike, as it certainly wasn't me.

Again thanks for your help...

Old 10-06-2019, 03:06 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by trooperspirit
Don't have a pic of the top tree to hand but will get one for you to quench your curiosity.
If it's convenient, great

The stem was pressed out the right way, not the first one I've done lol.
... maybe someone else will think about the process if they happen to read this

The hole looking funky is a combination of me removing the circlip and a bad case of a rubbish powder coat job done without proper prep, the damage inside the hole I am assuming was done by the dodgy Eastern European so called custom builders who built the bike, as it certainly wasn't me.

Again thanks for your help...
"done by the dodgy Eastern European so called custom builders who built the bike" ... funny

Old 10-06-2019, 03:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Sad to learn that your bike started out life as an FXDXT, as I owned one for many years! Bought it new in 2003....

Old 10-06-2019, 03:30 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Well, it looks like it was a good thing that someone knowledgable, but never an owner happened along intead of just an owner, but with no knowledge

Quick Reply: Fork Brace Help