Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Need advice - ’19 SGS rear shock travel problem when 2-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 04:33 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Need advice - ’19 SGS rear shock travel problem when 2-up

The First thing is: I’m short, 5’-5” w/ 28” inseam and weigh about 155 lbs.

Purchased my new SGS just a few months ago during Daytona Bike Week, had an H-D Reach seat installed and immediately had the bike lowered 1” by Suspension Technologies. They installed their 11” rear shock and their 1” shorter front suspension. With this setup I can “almost” flat foot when the road is level. When riding solo this setup is good and with the rear shocks adjusted to a softer setting the ride is fine.

However, now that I have had some time getting used to this new and heavier bike, my Lady and I have started to ride 2-up. She is a bit heavier than I am (trying to be kind) and now our combined weight is closer to 360 lbs. Now, even with the rear 11” shocks set to their stiffest setting, I’m getting too much tire rub when going over bumps and wallows.

My question is: Is there a way to limit shock travel so I don’t get tire rub?

I’ve heard of Bump Stops, but don’t know how, or if, they would work for this problem.

I have also seen and read many recommendations for Air Shocks that allow for vertical height adjustment on the fly, so to speak. Seems that, when 2-up and having to raise the bike up to allow for more rear shock travel, this might defeat my ability to reach the ground comfortably when coming to stops.

Thanks in advance for any serious advice you may be able to provide.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:55 AM
Coverdog
Tourer

Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts

Sounds like heavier springs are needed to correct the problem. Never heard of bump stops, but do you really want to be bottoming out your shocks all the time? It can’t be a good ride. You need the right springs for the weight to get a good ride. You might also think about lowering blocks and longer shocks. You could still be lower but have more shock travel.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:48 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Coverdog
Sounds like heavier springs are needed to correct the problem. Never heard of bump stops, but do you really want to be bottoming out your shocks all the time? It can’t be a good ride. You need the right springs for the weight to get a good ride. You might also think about lowering blocks and longer shocks. You could still be lower but have more shock travel.
You are probably correct...need a heavier spring shock. The ones I have now are ajdusted to maximum stiffness and still has tire rub. Longer shocks with the lowering blocks wont work because I need to reduce travel not increase it. Any which way the bike is lowered, the tire gets much closer to the frame/fender so travel needs to be minimized under load. Not sure where the tire is touching, but feels like just below where the back rest mounts under the seat, but not sure.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2019, 12:16 PM
Coverdog
Tourer

Suspension Technologies has different weight springs for their shocks. You could just change out the springs to the heavy. They will take 400lbs and up.

Yea, As far as more travel goes that was too early in the morning to do any thinking on my part.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Coverdog
Tourer

You may want to check and make sure the wire conduit under the fender to the tail light is not damaged from the tire if the bike has one.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:13 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

You may want to check and make sure the wire conduit under the fender to the tail light is not damaged from the tire if the bike has one.
I believe all wires are running doen along the frame on either side, so not too concerned but will be checking to make sure no harm done.

Looks like my first action is to replace the 11" shocks with the stock 12" H-D shocks and see how things work. MIght give Suspension Technologies a call and see if they will swap the springs for me.

In any event, have to do something so I don't have to leave the S.O. at home.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:20 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Default Final (I think) follow up

OK, here is the story. In a few words...the problem was ME!

Just was in the process of getting ready to replace the 11" ST shocks with the 12" OEM shocks. Got as far as getting the rear wheel jacked up off the ground. Decided to see if there was any adjusment left on the ST shocks. Well, to my supprise I wasn't even halfway up on the adjustment. With the load off the shocks the adjustment was far eaiser then when under even just the weight of the bike.

So running it up as stiff as possible, I took it out solo and hardly noticed much difference from when they were adjusted very soft. I'm aware that shorter shocks are inherently stiffer anyway., so there didn't seem to be much difference.

Then we when out 2-up and there was no tire rub, and only when hitting a severe bump there was a slight chirp. That would happen on my Heritage as well so we can live with that and just try to avoid those hard bumps and potholes.

Looking at the setting charts for the OEM 12" shocks, the adjustment was 0 for me alone, and 23 for us 2-up. This kind of told me for us I will have to keep the ST shock fully stiff for 2-up riding and deal with the stiffness when riding solo since making changes to the ST shocks is not as easy as shocks with a **** adjuster.

Looks like to ease the stiffness situation a little, a seat mod by MCC may be in order...cheaper than Air ride.

I think I can say we can put this thread to bed!

Old 06-03-2019, 03:54 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Suspension Technologies has different weight springs for their shocks. You could just change out the springs to the heavy. They will take 400lbs and up.
S. T. just replied to my email of last week and CALLED me to tell me exactly what you stated above. MIke said they were most willing to swap the springs to the heavier ones. I could pull off the shocks and overnight them to them and they would swap out the springs and overnight them back to me, OR, since it is only about a 2 1/2 hour ride to their shop in Clearwater, Fl., we can ride over and they will do it all for me while we wait. They are off to Texas for a Bike Week next week, so it looks like my Lady and I will run over sometime after they get back on the 17th. I'd call that good caring customer service.

We havn't seen that side of the penninsula so we are thing of maybe making it an over nighter and do some riding around the area after the work is done. Anyone reading this from that area maybe you could offer some places to check out.