Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

New shocks on my FXR

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 01:10 PM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8,508 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Default New shocks on my FXR

I posted this as a comment on another thread and thought it would get more notice here, where it might do some good for anyone wanting to consider new shocks:
Well boys, here you go. Another report on Pro-Action shocks. I’m in Daytona as I write this. Spent all day yesterday walking around the Vendors area at “ Destination Daytona “ learning about shock absorbers. It’s a whole new language. I’m riding a 1985 FXRS that I bought brand new and have put 290,000 mi on, so far. Replaced the original HD shocks a long time ago with 12 in Progressive 412’s. Yesterday I decided to spend the time getting myself educated on shocks. I’m 69 years old and little things like “ ride comfort “ are getting to be more important than they used to be. That said though, just buying a new bike is not an option. That’s personal choice btw, not a financial issue.
I have to say, the reports on this forum about the Pro-Action folks are spot on. We spent a lot of time talking and about shocks... actually DJ spent a lot of time talking, I mostly just listened and learned. DJ offered to put a set of their 12 in shocks on my bike, and let me take off for a ride with no obligation. He set them up and told me “go riding ...If you get back and want to tweak the settings we’ll do that and you can take’em back out until you’re happy. If they don’t make you happy we’ll put your 412’s back on.. no charge”. I figured what have I got to lose.
Took’em out for a 50 mi hop. Ran I-95, looking for rough patches, then hit back roads until I made my way back to Destination.
All I could tell’em at that point was “ write’em up”. Most impressed with the time and education I got from DJ and George. I came away with a great product and enough of an education to be able to make any future adjustments I might want to do as loads change, or whatever. That plus their guarantee...it’s pretty simple.... they take care of it.. period.
Sooo... that’s my report. I’ll get back with an update after a couple thousand miles and let ya’ll know how we’re doin’.