Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Yaffe bar install tech questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019 | 08:57 AM
Crabchuck
|
Road Master
Default Yaffe bar install tech questions

'18 FLHX. I actually emailed the sales team at baggernation and they either can't read, or don't know. First questions are about the geometry. I know the stock bar is 8" and I'm not sure I want to go with the Yaffe 10" or 12". So I asked, what is the actual difference in height and pull of their bars compared to stock. They told me to look at the pictures on their site. So it looks like I'll be going to events at the dealership and trying to find someone with these bars and ask them graciously what they have and if I can sit on their bike. If anyone reading this knows the numbers, it would be helpful. (2" up and 2" back is almost a 3" in real position change)

Everyone knows you need electrical extensions, so the HD part number according to their fitment guide is 69200034. That's a 10" extension, so boom, done. Moving on to clutch and brake lines where the real confusion starts. Yaffe just quoted me $409 for the "kit" to go with the bars, but didn't provide any details. Going back to the HD fitment guide, they reference the Diamond-Black upper and lower brake lines, and clutch line for the mini-ape which is a 12" bar:

1) The upper brake line is 41800260, I found the part descriptions on surdyke.... this is an upper 26.5x0DEG. I'm guessing the fitting is 0 degrees and the line is 26.5 inches long.
2) The lower brake line is 41800338. This one just comes back as lower non-abs.

I meant to bring my service manual to work and forgot it. I think I recall seeing some sort of block or fitting linking the two lines which mounts to the lower triple. So, why do I need a new lower? I get the upper needs to be longer, but why the lower? Next, the one thing that looks awful is a line that's too long or too short. I can't find a catalog anywhere of these "diamond" brake lines with tech descriptions, nor what the length of the stock line is.

3) Clutch line recommendation is 37200288. Surdyke just shows "0 76.50". Guessing a 0 degree fitting and 76.5 inches long. Anyone know how long the stock line is?

What it all boils down to is that I don't have any strong tech info on the stock parts to be able to get to be able to do the math on the new bars. If I get a 10" bar, do I need 24 and 74 inch lines instead? Is the pull on the Yaffe bar enough that a 12" Yaffe needs two more inches of line than the HD mini-ape? I'm not opposed to having a week of downtime on my bike (especially now) to fit the bar with stock lines and take measurements with the lines broken at the right spot to get the delta. But without more tech info on the lines, are the fittings the same from a 37200288 and a 37200291?

Old 02-24-2019 | 06:44 PM
Crabchuck
|
Road Master

Answering some of my own questions, and creating more. The factory line system is one piece. The Y block is solid. So what's the new setup? They just talk about upper and lower. No info on any of that???

Old 02-25-2019 | 10:29 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master

I'm pretty sure most Yaffe bars are 2" higher than advertised. If you go 12" the height is closer to 14". The pull back, I never paid attention but you can adjust the bars to get them where they are comfortable to you. If you decide on 8 or 10" bars, you don't need to replace the lines. If you go 12 or higher, you do. HCC sells the line kit and it's just two lines. You can call them or go on their website and you'll find exactly what you need for the bars you choose. A while back, I tried to find the HD extended lines and could not find a dealer with both in stock. If you order them, you're probable looking at a couple of weeks. Order from HCC and you should have them in 3 days. The brake line goes from the master cylinder to the ABS module. That is the only brake line that needs replaced. Hopefully this helps...

Old 02-25-2019 | 10:44 AM
Crabchuck
|
Road Master

I put an complete parts list together for the 10" bars, and I think $1,115 is talking me out of it.