Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Raising the Rear Suspension - 2009 FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018 | 03:27 PM
awoitte
|
3rd Gear
Default Raising the Rear Suspension - 2009 FXDL

I currently have stock suspension on my Dyna. I'm 6'1, 190lbs and would like to:
  1. Relocate the shifter/brake pedal a little forward
  2. Raise the bike by getting 13"-13.5" rear suspension
I've been told that by increasing the height in the rear, I can cause trouble while on the road by adding weight to the front when I brake, changing the dynamics while turning, etc.

If I go from 12" rear suspension to 13" or 13.5", is it absolutely necessary to raise the front as well, or is it common for the rear to go an inch or so higher without changing the front?

I want to stay safe and not lose handling or create problems, but I'm also feeling a little low while sitting on the bike, and would like to not scrape when making sharp(er) turns at higher speeds.

Any input/recommendations on procedure and shocks are welcome as well.

Cheers!

Old 08-07-2018 | 07:17 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Old 08-08-2018 | 05:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by awoitte
I've been told that by increasing the height in the rear, I can cause trouble while on the road by adding weight to the front when I brake, changing the dynamics while turning, etc.

If I go from 12" rear suspension to 13" or 13.5", is it absolutely necessary to raise the front as well, or is it common for the rear to go an inch or so higher without changing the front?

I want to stay safe and not lose handling or create problems, but I'm also feeling a little low while sitting on the bike, and would like to not scrape when making sharp(er) turns at higher speeds.

Any input/recommendations on procedure and shocks are welcome as well.

Cheers!
On the suspension front, I don't see any problems with using longer shocks, I've done the very same with my Sporty, so let me describe what I have done with that. My wife and I both ride the bike and we wanted to improve ride quality and one way was to use longer shocks, with increased travel. That part was fine, however what we realised is that the forks sagged a lot (more in a moment!), so we weren't getting full travel with them. We swapped the original springs for weight specific single-rate ones by Race Tech, also set sag correctly, which raised the front ride height. The bike is now a little taller at both ends, and also has complimentary travel at both ends.

So returning to your bike, by all means replace the shocks as you would like, but also check the forks. To do that jack the front end up so the wheel leaves the floor and hence they are fully extended, then measure the exposed part of the fork legs, from slider to the bottom tree. You may need help for this next part, which is to sit on your bike, wheels on the ground, and measure that distance again. It will plainly be less than before! Total fork travel will typically be 4" or a little more, which your FSM should confirm. For sag to be correct the difference between the two dimensions should be approximately one third of total travel, i.e. 4/3" if travel is 4", or 1.33inches. If it is more then I recommend you address that as part of your upgrade.

Hope that helps!

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (08-08-2018)