Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Oil leak in rear shock

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:05 PM
ronbo1821
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak in rear shock

My rear progressive shock 412 series is leaking oil. Can this be repaired or do I have to replace it? Is this normal for this to happen after 3,000 miles (2 yrs) of normal single rider riding? I've emailed progressive but no response. I will try to call them tomorrow but I doubt they will give any assistance after 2 yrs.

Thanks,

Ron
2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Old 08-12-2007, 08:51 AM
JSW
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oil leak in rear shock

I just sprung a leak yesterday. Same Progressive 412's on a Dyna. The shocks are on for just over a year. NOT Happy with this situation at all. Luckily I still have my stock shocks so I can ride. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:30 AM
ccbm51
6th Gear

Sprung leak last year on mine. Called progressive and returned both for testing. They repaired the one that was leaking and sent them back to me. Now I have a leak again this year and I will send them back again. Pain in the ***. You'd think they would just send me a new pair, charge me, then take off the charge after old one's were returned to eliminate any down time. So much for progressive shocks with me.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:29 PM
JSW
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I fortunately have my stockers back on so down time won't be an issue. Its good to hear the amount of times this has happened. I'm waiting to call them during business hours.
Just curious about your model.... are they Heavy Duty 412's. That is what I have on a Dyna SG.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:56 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I'm starting to see an awful lot of posts from guys with their Progressives leaking. I've got 14k on mine so far without an issue, but its starting to make me concerned... I'm keeping an eye on them, thats for sure.

I also have heard nothing but good things regarding the company supporting folks with the problem... but still.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 AM
ccbm51
6th Gear

Have 412-4037C 11" on 04 dyna. I don't believe they are heavy duty which are recommended for bikes being operated at maximum load rating more than 50% of the time.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 PM
JSW
Cruiser

They will warranty my shock as its barely a month over the one year period. I did forget to ask the tech if they wanted BOTH shocks sent back. I called them backbut had to leave a message. CCBM, did they want both or just the defective shock from you? The only difference for me would be the shipping cost.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 PM
JohnB445
Tourer

I had one go this week, almost all the oil came out at once. Thought I was getting a flat tire at 65MPH.

I ordered HD shocks from Carlton HD of Mantua, OH (these are not after market real HD shocks)

The price was only $73.00 each. My original shocks gave me years of reliable service. Last time

I buy after market parts if HD are available.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 PM
ccbm51
6th Gear

JSW, They had me send back both shocks so they could test both. They only had to repair the seals in one the other was ok. Wish I could remember now which one they repaired last year. Will ship mine back at the end of the summer. Just light seepage now but but it's still a leak.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:08 PM
JSW
Cruiser

ccbm, mine was a big blowout (oil all over the rear of my bike). I'm going to wait and talk with a tech about possibly getting two new shocks so it won't happen again. The last thing I need is another shock blowing out. My bike had a severe wobble for a couple weeks now, It was tough for me to pin it down and now I can say it had to do with the shocks.

Quick Reply: Oil leak in rear shock