Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Need help NOW. Progressive lowering fork springs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:21 AM
ROBSREDFORD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help NOW. Progressive lowering fork springs!

I am posting this in the touring section and the suspension forum also as I am right in the middle of it and need to ride tomorrow. I have a Progressive part #10-1561, which is what progressive saidI needed for my 2003 road king classic. In the directions it states to if lowering 2 inches to leave the stock top out spring on the damper rod along with both of the progressive top out springs,which i have done, next in the direction it states to install the damper rod and then the new progressive fork springs, which I have done, what i am having trouble with is the next step it states to set preload by trimming the spacer to the appropriate length as shown in the diagram..here lies my problem it states that the spacer should be flush or up to 1/2" out of the fork assembly, WELL MY FORK SPRING is flush with the fork assembly as it sits now, no room for the spacer. There is a second small sheet that is supposed to list the spacer lenghths, which in that section of the chart IT IS BLANK! it says see note 18 and there is no note 18 or any notes for that matter. Below the chart it states that spacer length shown applies if lowering fork 1 ", if lowering fork 2" spacer length will be 1" shorter than noted. There are no notes, the chart is blank and the new spring is flush with the fork as is ..therefore I am very confused. Please post or call me 704-507-2453 Thanks[align=right][/align]

Old 06-23-2007, 03:12 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need help NOW. Progressive lowering fork springs!

I don't understand. You say the new springs are even at the top of the fork tubes, and there's no room for the spacers?
Remember, the whole procedure is to preload the springs, so you'll sit this spacer on the top of the spring (hanging out) and compress the both of 'em into the tube with the tube cap. (after adding the fork oil to the correct height in the tube with the springs removed beforehand)
I hope this helps...I'm not sure I really understand your issue.

CN

Old 06-23-2007, 11:24 AM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure you have the fork fully extended? And that everything is installed correctly? If yes to both, I'd say run with it.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope you're riding by now. If not, I'd say just git 'er dun.

Run with it without aspacer if you're a light rider or don't pack on a lot of extra weight touring. If you want more preload, add a short spacer.

How do the new springs compare in length to the one's you removed? When I put my Race Tech springs in the were like 7" shorter at free length. I had to add a spacer twice as long as what was in there when I disassembled it. Your spring may just be a bit longer.