Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Air Pressure in the rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005 | 03:14 AM
roadkingdentontx
|
Stage III
Default Air Pressure in the rear shocks

I just purchased a 2003 Roadking Classic. The dealership said the previous owner put lower rear shocks on the bike because he was a short man.

Does anyone know what air pressure should be in these shocks?

Thanks in advanced.

Old 10-18-2005 | 11:20 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Default RE: Air Pressure in the rear shocks

Would imagine they would be pretty close to the stockers at 10-12 lbs for most one up riding. Trial and error will determine that best.

Old 10-19-2005 | 05:10 AM
roadkingdentontx
|
Stage III

Thanks. I wasnt sure how much air pressure to put in. I didnt want to put to much in and hurt the shocks.

Old 10-19-2005 | 03:11 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

TC is correct (see TC, I do agree sometimes). Same as stock, however you will notice that the ride is not as smooth as stock with the HD low profile shocks. If you are not a short person I would put the stock shocks back on (if you don't have them check Ebay) or buy some progressive shocks like you see everyone here talking about.

Terry

Old 10-19-2005 | 06:55 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

If you are not a short person I would put the stock shocks back on
See, I too can agree with you!

I agree here! The ride suffers with the shortened shocks.

Old 10-19-2005 | 07:21 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

TC,

You realize that about the only thing we ever disagree on is the True Duals

Terry

Old 10-20-2005 | 12:18 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

What's your feelings on true duals, let's see if we can come to an agreement here too, they're shiny

Old 10-20-2005 | 12:35 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I think with the right setup true duals will out perform the stock header or 2 into 1 setup. I've mentioned this before but I have a dealer who is a friend of mine. He was running a 117 ci 2038 cc Roadglide. He has dyno'd it with Thunderheader, V&H True Duals with oval mufflers and Rineharts. He got the best results with the Rineharts. Running close to 125 hp. I have ridden the bike and the low end torque is enough to do a power wheelie in 1st or 2nd and ride it through the gears. It will pull your arms out of the sockets.

Here is my opinion on the subject. Don't waste your time with an HD download with true duals. I prefer the Race Tuner becaue of the tuning ability it gives you compared to the PCIII. I know you and alot of others are fans of the PCIII but the Race Tuner gives you the ability to tune each cylinder seperately. Your rear cylinder usually runs leaner than the front, especially with true duals. This causes a lean spot between 1500 and 2000 RPMs which gives you a lurchy feeling when running through town. You also will never get rid of the popping and backfiring with a simple download and it is hard to get rid of it with a PCIII.

I have had 11 Harleys. This is my first CVO bike with a 95 ci engine. I rode it for 3 yrs with the stock header and slip ons. I noticed a HUGE difference with the Rineharts. I lost absolutely no low end power with the true duals, but like I said, I have an expert tuner who really knows how to use a dyno.

Terry

Old 10-20-2005 | 10:33 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Terry

I understand most of what you are saying, except for the rear cylinder running leaner than the front. I've found just the opposite and wonder why you say this. I agree with you as far as the PC ability to not tune the two cylinders differently, but I also disagree that the true duals can give you more power than the 2 into 1 or even 2 into 2 for that matter because of the scavenging factor. It's completely missing in the true duals as with the 2 into 2 also. Just can't see where there would be an advantage to true duals at all even considerong the unequal header length. I've seen where a change from stock head pipes also caused a loss in power . To date, I think you are the only person I have seen that saw an increase in power using the true duals, it usually goes the opposite way.I guess theres always an exception in every instance and would be willing to learn something new.

I also agree with you on the download with the true duals too

Geez, we almost had it there!

Old 10-20-2005 | 11:39 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

TC,

I thought it was a known fact that the rear cylinder runs hotter than the front. That's one of the reasons people go to true duals (to get rid of the heat from the crossover on the right side). I have read numerous stories on the rear cylinder running lean. My tuner told me that is not unusual for the cylinders to be unequal after modifications. That's why I like the Race Tuner.

I have a great story on how the race tuner works and why a modified bike needs to be tuned properly. I've thought about posting it for you so you can use it in your forums. It is pretty long so it would be easier to fax it to you if you would like a copy. If you are interested just PM me your fax (or address) and I'll make sure you get it.

You have to know that I am just kidding with you about disagreeing. I have the utmost respect for your knowledge and read almost everything you post.

I have worked at a couple harley shops since the mid 70's and have picked up my knowledge from working with some really good mechanics and techs. It is really great having a couple harley dealers as friends who I consider very knowledgeable. It's also great having a dealer for a friend who rides such an outrageous bike.

Thanks for the friendly banter. I look forward to disagreeing in the future.

Terry

Quick Reply: Air Pressure in the rear shocks