Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

08 flhtcu abs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:02 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok then ,,, So you cleared all fault codes, turned ignition off ,, then went back in and checked codes ,, and C1032 is still coming up ? ..... I take it when you turn ignition on , (as if you were going to start bike) , the abs light is on solid, (not blinking). ???

If this is the case,, it is in all probability the front wheel speed sensor, and or wiring or connections ..... The one area where the wiring has a habit of getting damaged is up from front wss connector ,(next to the grease nipple), under left fairing... The clutch cable , and other cables can stretch/break the these small cables ....
Disconnect connector front wss 167B, (near grease nipple), and check cables .. You may have to cut the black protective sheathing all the way to harness on the neck to get a good look at the wires ..... You may be lucky and see a break ,, If so cut and splice and see if that fixes the fault ......

If not ,, the wire could be broken in insulation , and cannot be seen .....Now you have to go to the next step .... Checking the continuity of the two wss wires ......

This entails pulling the connector from abs module ,(right side caddy) .... with this disconnected you will see location of pins for the wires .... find the two wires for the front wss , and check for continuity for each wire from here back to connector under left fairing .... If you have continuity for each wire , it will point to a bad front wheel speed senor , or a bad abs bearing .....

If you found no continuity on one , (or both), wires ,, the break could still be in the area near the grease nipple, (in the insulation), or along the wire harness back to the abs module .....
The manual has a diagram of abs connections and wiring to help with numbers etc ....

See how you go with above ,,, and get back ......

Old 04-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Fscott4
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markwolula
This is the part number for the particular module you are checking ... This comes up after the fault codes, (if any) , or the word none , (if there are no fault codes)... You then click trip button once to go back to all modules, with the next one flashing.... Search , "Harley fault codes procedure" to get info on the procedure ....

The last module , "b" , is the module to check for abs fault codes ....
When you do this , come back and post up the codes you see ....

Note,,, if there is more than one fault code,, write the first one down , then click the trip button once to to check if another one comes up, and so on...
When there are no more codes, the part number of the module will scroll across the screen .... You can then turn off the ignition ....
I will check for breaks and continuity tomorrow eve and let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for your help

Old 04-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Fscott4
Cruiser

Continuity on all wiring to wheel sensors. When I was done checking this and all wires plugged back in I was able to clear all codes. The abs light now blinks instead of a hard light. I have not ridden yet as it is pouring rain here but I am taking it in for a tire tomorrow. Hmmmmm, maybe everything is OK now in my bikes world.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM
markwolula
Tourer

Good news ,,,, If you have the abs light blinking while the bike is stationary , and not going solid,, that is what you want to see ... The test will be when you can take her for a ride and the abs light goes out .... If this is the case,, get on a quiet road ,, and test the abs system for actuation at a low speed to confirm abs is working ....

I am a little concerned that you may have an intermittent fault on wiring somewhere , or in connector , (near grease nipple)...If it was at that connector, you may have fixed the problem by disconnecting and connecting connector for better contact ..... Cheers.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Fscott4
Cruiser

I now have a hard abs light again. Im going to choose to not worry about it for the moment as the bike runs great. I may start with replacing the front bearing and sensor but not right now. Thanks a bunch for your help. If I do get it nailed down I will let you know.
FrEd

Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 AM
markwolula
Tourer

Bummer ,,,, Seeing your abs light is staying on solid , check you faults codes again and see if C1025 , and or C1032 are coming up ..... This will confirm ,(as far as what the fault codes can tell us), that the problem/fault is still pointing to a fault within the front wss circuit ....
If you are confident the two front wss wires, from abs module to connector 167B are ok, then in process of elimination, you have,,, 1. connector 167A may have a wire fault ... 2. Font wheel sensor , and or wire fault .... 3. Front abs bearing faulty ......
If above is correct , my money is on replacing the front wss...

I dont know if you can test a wheel speed sensor without it being installed and fitted on wheel and making contact with abs bearing .... If it can,, take bike to dealer , and ask if you plug in a new front wss into connector 167A ... if that fixes the problem , buy the new front wss ..... Good luck ......