Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

springer front end-advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:45 AM
craigmichelle
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question springer front end-advice needed

I just joined, so maybe this has been covered and I don't know how to navigate this site.
My dream bike is very similar to the 'Dragon Bike' Peter Fonda rode in Wild Angels. So I bought a soft tail springer CVO, 2009. This is very nice, and I will ride it the rest of my life, in more or less stock condition. As I have a disk injury, I cannot ride a hardtail very far.
But-I love the hardtail look, so I bought a 57 FL with correct frame and title. It came in bobber dress, with a Paughco stock length springer and .75 axle 16inch front wheel with no brakes and no way to add brakes without ruining the chrome. I bought a new star hub, 21 inch wheel and new springer stock brake package, thinking I could adapt it to the Paughco by changing the rockers. Paughco says no dice. So, I am prepared to sell the Paughco and 16 inch wheel, and buy a V Twin repop of a Harley Offset springer, which would be correct for my frame.
In the meantime, I repaired the frame by adding the dash and tank mount hardware on the top rail, and I mounted a set of 5 gallon tanks and speedo with cover.
That brings us to the problem. The Paughco top triple tree hits the dash cover when you turn the front end. I could weld some stops onto the frame if I had to, but that doesn't seem right. My guess is that a Glide triple tree would not hit, because the stem is behind the legs, where the Paughco stem and rear legs are inline, so the legs are further back. Is a Harley offset springer going to work, or ??????
Near as I can tell by knocking all the bondo out of the frame head, the frame has not been altered.

Attached Thumbnails springer front end-advice needed-p1010026.jpg   springer front end-advice needed-p1010042.jpg  

Last edited by craigmichelle; 11-21-2016 at 12:16 PM.