Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Deuce gets new front brake cable and then....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:30 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Deuce gets new front brake cable and then....

It all started with me being short. Spotted the Deuce HD bars that come back another 1 1/2"...put 'em on and sure enough the brake line was too short just like the book said...electrical/clutch fine...so I ordered the stainless extended length (same as stock by #) and put it on. You know where this is going....had to bleed brake naturally. I succeeded in the old fashioned way by filling / pump, close valve, release, open, pump, close valve. Repeat 50 times with no bubbles after about 10th pump and no sign of brake...finally pumped lever several times with valve closed until I had some brake feel...then resumed for about 10 pumps and all was well. Wish I had done the pumping with valve closed sooner. Yes, I know all about the other ways but didn't see the need beforehand. I have bled a gazillion cars but I have to say this one had me stumped. So, then on went the chrome levers afterwards...never do 2 things at same time. The cable is all flexible with chrome ends, does not look bad but really kind of a rip because it is not tailored to the Deuce. The stock line has a rigid section around triple tree. So...I asked the forum before I got the bars IF the new brake line was REALLY necessary...no answer until now...it is. Oh well, the bling quotient went up a notch and I feel better without the stock hose being stretchedlike a guitar string. John