Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Installing Dual Brembos on an older Dyna...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:44 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnythrottle
Same anchor screw, different part #- HD has never bothered to standardize their part #'s hence the loads of confusion when intermingling parts between years and models.
I have to retract this statement cause it's wrong - I actually discovered that the screw that this sentence was referring too is actually the same SKU# (45405-75A) between 2004 and 2005 and maybe more - my bad :-/

Old 06-01-2016, 12:00 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,301 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Have you pulled your original slider off yet? That's where i think you'll find the differences...at the inside bottom. The exterior is basically the same other than the adjustable screw (you call drain plug) on the FXDX slider.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:23 AM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Have you pulled your original slider off yet? That's where i think you'll find the differences...at the inside bottom. The exterior is basically the same other than the adjustable screw (you call drain plug) on the FXDX slider.
The 2004 FXDX parts list calls it a 'plug bolt', eh but whatever =D

I'm not ready to take the front end apart until the rest of the parts arrive but I'm anxious to see the difference too. We have only one shop here that specializes in FXDX-T series - I'll take the lower into them and see if they can offer any input but they'd always be more inclined to take my money:-[

I found some 11.8" touring rotors from a 2012 FLHX courtesy of y22c which will match the caliper/pad clearance as you recommended - they should arrive late in the month. Other than that, all the other bits and pieces are accounted for, hopefully.

Last edited by johnnythrottle; 06-08-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:51 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

I've decided to scrap the Brembos and 11.8" rotors in preference of stock hardware so I found a right side caliper under Ebay from a 2006 Electra Glide for $55.00 USD ($72.00 CAD) including pads and expedited shipping. I'm now on the lookout for some decent 11.5" rotors.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:14 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

Well, Brembos are back on now as I found a sweet pair of 11.8" Floating Rotors (44943-08) on Ebay for $141 USD - they have recessed holes to accept the standard bolt head (3655A) so I won't have any clearance issues. I'm going to run DOT4 as the Brembo's are spec'd for it. I'm confident the Touring Master Cylinder, although labelled DOT5 will have no issues with it considering it's brand new. Only waiting on 2 more items from the dealer and off to the shop she goes.

Last edited by johnnythrottle; 06-19-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:34 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,301 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Brembos...That's a better path

But please change the ID label on the Master, when you can Those details separate the hack jobs

Another Option: Weren't the Brembos New-Never Used? If so, remember you could run DOT5 (considerations...bike's a DOT5 bike, master is already labeled DOT5...)

Old 06-24-2016, 01:38 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Brembos...That's a better path

But please change the ID label on the Master, when you can Those details separate the hack jobs

Another Option: Weren't the Brembos New-Never Used? If so, remember you could run DOT5 (considerations...bike's a DOT5 bike, master is already labeled DOT5...)
Ya, a consideration for sure - however I'll probably have this bike until I either die or crash it :-/ I'm pretty sure that the mfg specs on Brembo's specify DOT4 due to glycol based fluid being incompatible with organic seals. I'd rather deal with the labeling on the MC. Rotors and parts are finally in, now just have to pick everything up and get to the shop :-)

Last edited by johnnythrottle; 06-24-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:40 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

Spring is nearing so the project is back on... Bike is stripped preparing for new rubber and front end modes including paint. Both Fork lowers needed to be swapped out with part # 46079-04 and 46078-04 as predicted by multihdrdr as the lower half of the internals are different. Was able to use stock bolt 45405-75A to secure dampers. Will install the stock springs with Lucas Synth 20wt to firm up ride. Front reservoir was upgraded to 11/16th Bore as required. Once the paint is done it will be ready for assembly.

I've posted my take-offs under CL here and can provide USPS delivery from Washington State.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If brakes are stronger then they need to be, it will be possible to lock up front wheel.
I had Yamaha FZ1 and it was too easy to lock up front wheel. Engineers miscalculated front brakes, I think.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:50 PM
johnnythrottle
Advanced

Originally Posted by 13RoadKing
If brakes are stronger then they need to be, it will be possible to lock up front wheel.
I had Yamaha FZ1 and it was too easy to lock up front wheel. Engineers miscalculated front brakes, I think.
Well, that's not my intention but I've heard that that will be possible with this configuration.

Quick Reply: Installing Dual Brembos on an older Dyna...