Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Lineally Wound Springs VS Progressive

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 AM
zyban
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lineally Wound Springs VS Progressive

Can Anyone tell Me the difference between Lineally Wound Springs & Progressive.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:51 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Conventional "straight wound" springs have a more or less linear force as they are compressed. Say you compress it 1 inch and get 10 pounds force, compress it two inches you get 20 pounds force.

Progressive wound springs (progressive rate) if you compress it 1 inch and get 10 pounds, compress it 2 inches you might get 25 pounds, 3 inches 50 pounds, etc.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-04-2016, 11:57 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Usually progressive wound springs give a harsher ride. Don't confuse progressive wound springs with Progressive Suspension springs.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:19 PM
zyban
Tourer

So I am better with the Lineally Wouprings for a smoother ride, Thanks for the answers.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:26 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by zyban
So I am better with the Lineally Wouprings for a smoother ride, Thanks for the answers.
I don't know that that is a correct blanket statement.

What progressively wound springs attempt to do is make up for lack of travel. In a perfect world, say in the rear.... you'd have 12" of travel. In reality you probably have 2-3. The prog wound springs try to be light over the smaller bumps, & still soak up the big ones. The job is better solved by valving inside the shock, but that's not typically found except in the top level units.

An interesting side note... constant would springs do not have linear rates. One of the things that determines spring rate is number of active coils..... the less the number, the stiffer the spring all else equal. As the spring compresses towards solid, the coils towards the ends start to touch each other, reducing the number of "active" coils, and the spring rate goes up.

It's a good practice not to design a spring to work in the first or last 20% of it's travel if spring force is critical.

Yeah, I know.... it's just a spring lol.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Wink

What you are referring to are single-rate springs, and comparing them with progressive-wound springs. Single-rate springs are best matched to a riders weight, to give optimum performance. They give uniform compression and enable the full travel of the suspension to be used.

Progressive-rate springs are a compromise IMHO, used as a one-size fits all. The open-wound portion will compress readily, until fully compressed, when the tight-wound portion comes into play, compressing at a more resistant rate. They cannot provide the same uniformity of travel as single-rate springs.

If you are tempted to change your fork springs, Race Tech have a calculator to check the correct rate to purchase.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:21 PM
zyban
Tourer

I was also reading about Patriot suspension's new "Genesis Fork Spring, it uses Two Springs to help with rebound, Any thoughts on them against a single spring, I will be fitting Ricor Intimators as well.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Wink

I was also reading about Patriot suspension's new "Genesis Fork Spring, it uses Two Springs to help with rebound, Any thoughts on them against a single spring, I will be fitting Ricor Intimators as well.
I can't see any benefit of using two springs, especially when the main one is a progressive-wound one. IMHO you will be better off using a single-rate spring matched to your weight, such as Race Tech. There was a time when engines used two or even three valve springs, per valve, to control valve bounce, but technology and metallurgy has moved on a lot since those days. For our forks a single spring is all we need and also all that the top suspension brands use.