Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front Forks leaking after seal and oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015 | 12:47 PM
tokey666
|
3rd Gear
Default Front Forks leaking after seal and oil change?

Hey all! After watching hours and hour of video and reading as much as I could, I changed my front fork oil and replaced all the seals a few weeks ago. Everything went pretty smooth and everything seemed to line up where it should!

Well, after a few trips I've noticed a small amount of oil on the forks after each trip. (enough to cause it to drip). I probably have about 200 miles on the bike since I changed the oil.

I am wondering, I very well could have overfilled the oil, could that be causing the leaks? Or is there something else I missed? It's happening on BOTH sides so surely I didn't mess up BOTH of them when reinstalling the seals. The seals lined up where they should, and the snap rings as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Front Forks leaking after seal and oil change?-hhfzmda.jpg

Old 08-20-2015 | 12:50 AM
union53
Road Captain

If you had too much oil you would know. Forks would be stiff and if you had way too much oil they wouldn't compress much.

There are a few things that could be going on. If they weren't leaking before you did the change then you probably damaged the seals installing them. It's easy to do. Are you sure the seals are installed correctly?

Could also be the wrong seal or just a crappy seal.

The chrome on the inner tube could have a small burr on it which could cause a seal to leak if it caught it right. You also could have just been unlucky and picked up some debris that got between the seal and the tube.

I'm just thinking of stuff I've seen happen in the thousands of forks I've done.