Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Wheel balancing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 10:52 PM
troglodyte
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel balancing

Mr. Cheapskate here again.

I've got to get new tires. Went to the local HD shop and they quoted me $387 +tax, tires, tubes, mount and balance. No way I can do that. Counterman works part-time there on Saturdays, said he got some Avons put on down the street for $350. Wow, now that's a savings[:'(].

As usual, I head to the computer and see what I can find.

Found the Maxxis classics for about $110 delivered. I've had Maxxis on my dirtbike and they were fine. Looked at some other tires and could still get out for $150ish. Biggest problem I have found is getting the right sizes for an older bike, that can be afforded by us teacher types.

Problem is getting them balanced. So I find a balance stand for $170, surely I can do better. Found a link on another bike site and came up with this,

Harley Wheel Balancer

Sounds easy enough, makes sense, good reviews, and will pay for itself on the first set of tires.

Anybody have any experience with this product or balanced tires yourself? My time is a lot cheaper than the $68/hour they want at the HD shop.

Mike

Old 09-18-2005, 10:58 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Wheel balancing

I thought you simply needed to match the dot with the valve stem???

Not so?

Mac

Old 09-18-2005, 11:19 PM
troglodyte
Advanced

Got me there y'all are the experts. I still trying to figure out exactly what an FXEF is and how to fit it in my garage.

I thought you had to (or was highly recommended to) get them balanced. The set I have on now has two weights on the front cast rim and three on the back.

The service manual says, "Wheel balancing is recommended to improve handling and reduce vibration , especially at high road speeds."

If it is not a big thing, I'll skip it. I'm not planning on a cross country "high road speed" trip anyway. That will be $100 I don't have to come up with.

Mike

Old 09-18-2005, 11:25 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Uh...

Let's wait for one of the experts. I'm getting ready to do mine, I'm in between a few options...let's wait and see what Bill says.

My ride has no weights on it, though it is an '05 with spokes...so maybe that's dthe difference.

Bill? What's the answer? Skip? John? Steve? One of you gearheads jump in here.

Mac

Old 09-18-2005, 11:35 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok , here goes

IMO, I wouldn't run ANY tire without first balancing it whether it be a 12" trailer tire or anything bigger. They all get balanced for maximim life and true running. Many don't believe in balancing and some even use the liquid balance and say it the greatest. I believe in stick on weights on mags and crimp on weights on spokes. Unbalanced tires may or may not be felt as out of balance, but they can raise heck with the steering head bearings as well.

My opinion of 35 years working on everything with an engine tha goes faster than a lawn mower is to balance the tires.

Some info on tires
https://www.hdforums.com/m_88208/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_88204/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_88203/tm.htm

https://www.hdforums.com/m_88202/tm.htm

Old 09-18-2005, 11:38 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Bill,

You made me walk out to the garage...the wheel is balanced with weights on the spokes...never paid them any attention.

What about the balancer that he found?

PS, no need to post your credentials...I'm convinced you know what you're talking about!

Mac

Old 09-18-2005, 11:42 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

I've seen that balancer used in many shops and it seems to work well, I prefer to spin balance them myself for better acuracy with high speed runs.

Also an FXE is a Superglide Electric Start, FXEF - Fatbob,

Old 09-19-2005, 12:45 AM
troglodyte
Advanced

Bill you are unbelievable!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us and especially me.

Balance the wheels it is.

Thanks to all for your patience as I try to figure it all out.

FXEF - Fat bob...Funny thing these HD letters and such. I have yet to find a "official" reference to an 80" Fat Bob for 1980. Oh well, doesn't really matter...just curious.

Mike

Old 09-19-2005, 01:33 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

Mike, You may find this interesting https://www.hdforums.com/m_64811/tm.htm

Also http://www.motolit.com/harshov19.html

Old 09-20-2005, 03:43 PM
tcfamy
Cruiser

Mike,

I use the balencer you posted. I found it easy and accurate for static balancing. Highly reccomend it. Also I picked up a great tip that was not obvious to me. I had always assumed the valve stem was the heavy side. Wrong!!! The tip said to spin the bare wheel, valve stem and rotors to establish the true light position and then align the tire dot accordingly. Wow to my surprise both wheels were off. One was out almost 180!!!

Now when I balanced I only needed 1 oz one each end to be right on. Another great use for the balancer was to check for trueness on the rim. After 5K+ miles I have not had any vibration or uneven wear.

Tom

Quick Reply: Wheel balancing