Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Low Rider Suspesion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015 | 09:12 AM
NatlChamp
|
Stage IV
Default Low Rider Suspesion

Just got 500 miles on my 2014 Low Rider. Suspension is killing me. Changed seat to Tall Boy for more padding, helps a bit. I'm pretty light at maybe 145 fully dressed (only sit on my new bike with no clothes on when in the garage). Get launched out of the seat at speed on bumps and very rough ride all around. Shocks are set at second setting which is well within my weight. Tried both softer and stiffer but neither helps. QUESTION: Local Harley dealer has sale (15% off) on Harley suspension parts. Looking at Premium Ride Emulsion Shocks and Premium Ride single cartridge. Not cheap even on sale - Will this fix my problem?????? Also, have clunk in he front end, I think. Don't mind spending the money if it will fix rough ride. I also ride occasionally with my wife on the back.

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2015 | 09:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

You are right to pick on the shocks as being the main problem you are suffering from. I would have a word with your dealer first, just to get them to check that your bike's suspension is as it should be. I assume you still have a warranty. The clunk at the front end could well be your forks topping, in other words, because you don't weigh much, when going over a bump the forks extend fully and reach the bump stops at the top of their travel. It is likely the shocks are doing the same, which is why you are getting bounced out of the saddle.

I suspect that the springs, both front and rear, are too strong for your modest weight. Add to that the poor damping control of stock Harley suspension and that can explain why you are being knocked about so much. I don't know enough about the Premium suspension that Harley sells to know if it will solve the problem for you, although they should have better damping. The springs may still be too strong, unless the dealer has a way of curing that problem.

Other solutions are to replace the fork springs with single-rate ones, matched to your weight. Race Tech sell them and have a calculator on their website. You can also consider using Emulators or Intiminators, to improve damping. At the rear I suggest you call Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal, who will build you good shocks, once again with springs matched to your weight. Tell him you also ride with Mrs Nat.

Old 03-10-2015 | 05:38 PM
NatlChamp
|
Stage IV

Thanks for the information. Still trying to decide what to do. I'll post when I pull the trigger.

Old 03-11-2015 | 09:03 AM
jmb79
Road Master

There are many good suspension products available for your bike. I would not spend money on H-D's new replacement suspension parts when there are proven after market parts available.

Old 04-09-2015 | 11:56 AM
NatlChamp
|
Stage IV
Default New shocks installed.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Harley new Emulsion rear shocks. Installation was pretty straight forward and the ride has improved substantially. Shocks are more or less infinitely adjustable inasmuch as you loosen a lock nut and compress or expand the spring by rotating a big threaded nut around the shock. They come with a wrench that has markings to identify different weight and load settings. This is nice but much more time consuming than just clicking the lower part of the shock barrel on the original equipment (improved ride quality makes this pretty much a non-issue). Should have gotten the fork kit also but I wanted to try the shocks first. Forks are okay on big hits but pretty much worthless on rough roads.

I went with the Harley shocks mainly because I couldn't take the time to research, order and receive the after market stuff. These were on sale at 15% off at the local dealer which isn't much but with something with the Harley logo on it anything off is a blessing.

I appreciate the helpful comments.