Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

H-D Suspension Basics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:28 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default H-D Suspension Basics

So I'm gonna be new to HD but I'm not new to motorcycles. Have a bit of sport bike racing experience too, so I'm pretty good with suspension set-up and stuff like that. I know none of the forks and shocks are adjustable or anything on the new bikes, so what are the basics? What do most guys do to get a bike dialed in to fit you; new shocks? Swap out the fork springs & valves? What weight fork oil? All those type things. Race Tech is huge in the sport bike and racing community and they have quite a bit of stuff for HD, but I haven't talked to them yet. Any good thoughts or ideas? Thanks guys.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:23 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been racing for a bunch of years and I'm buying my first harley this year. Luckily for me I work part time at a motorcycle suspension shop.

I have a Dyna street bob on the way. My current plan is to replace the shocks with a set of Ohlins S36PR1C1LB shocks. Haven't decided on the length yet. I'll have to measure the bike to see what fits best for my setup.

On the front I'm going to replace the forks with a set of forks from a GSXr 750 I think pre 2012. I chose those because they have a 25mm axle which just happens to be the bearing size harley uses now. I'll also have a dual disk setup from this. This is not a direct replacement. I'll be getting a new set of triple clamps made to what ever spec we decide.

I've also considered a few other things before I came to what I think is my final decision. Ktech makes what looks to be a nice harley setup. They have two types of shocks. One is similar to the ohlins in looks with the piggyback reservoir. The other is a "bullit" series shock that is springless. They also make a drop in cartridge for the forks that is adjustable.

I also considered going to motorcycle metal for a front end. They are a forum sponsor and were recommended to look into from the owner of the shop I work at. It's a complete front end using their own designed triple trees and ohlins r&t forks. It looks like a good setup. I just don't have the cash for it.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:57 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There is only one top brand of shocks that is available built to suit a Harley and that is Ohlins. As you are both members of HDF I strongly recommend you contact Howard Messner of HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal, who will build shocks to suit you and your needs, including supplying suitable springs. He builds them from: basic emulsion shocks; through separated with a single damper adjuster; to remote reservoir with fully adjustable dampers. Sound tempting?!

If you both have recent Dynas with 49mm forks he can also supply fully adjustable Ohlins forks cartridges. You will need deep pockets, but if you have a racing background you probably know that! Howard uses telemetry and a race track to develop his own builds for Harley shocks, something I don't think anyone else does. Did I say he offers generous discounts to members of HDF?!

If you want top quality suspension he is your one stop shop.......

Last edited by grbrown; 02-09-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:23 PM
union53
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

I'll be getting the suspension through my own shop

The ktech stuff is just as good as ohlins performance wise. Its basically what you like the look of better. The one things ohlins offers over ktech and what has me sold on them is the hydrolic preload adjuster. Since I'll be riding solo and two up it just makes adding and subtracting preload a bit easier.

To add more to the decision process penske will also make you a shock. It will be more then the ohlins since they are normally one off runs.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a Penske on my 749S...loved it.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:43 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds like you guys got it all figured out, carry on.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:47 AM
Fabsportster
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi,

I have just brought a pair of Bullit shocks and tracker forks for my nightster, and as well as working extremely good, they look sooooooooo nice on the bike. I wanted to achieve a hotrod look and i think these k-tech product (specially the bullit shock) fits perfectly. the front cartridge has got a RSD looking cap which is proper cool. and it's fully adjustable.
Now for the bullit shocks, even 2-up i haven't managed to bottom them, and the ride quality is so much better than standard even lowered.

Picture worth a 1000 word! hotrod lowered look !

Old 07-21-2015, 04:10 PM
SFXDB415
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fabsportster has that bike set up nice. .i want the tracker cartridges for my 14 fxdb..im currently running the emulsion ohlins shocks that i grabbed brand new under $600, sprung to my weight..those shocks are a huge improvement over stock and i can't wait till i get enough cash saved for the front cartridges..there's a few dynas in the SF bay area doing this mod..btw you'll hate the front end if u decide to do shocks first