Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Relevant Search Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013 | 03:43 PM
BoonDock_Saint
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Relevant Search Results

After reading another cavalier, "search the site before asking questions" response to someone's question last night I decided to post this.

The "search" function on this forum software is all but useless. It searches on keywords only so if you don't happen to search for an exact term that someone else already used or use too many words, you get nowhere. if you're too vague, you get too many unrelated results. If you want relevant search results from this forum (or any specific website), go to Google and in the search box type site:hdforums.com then a space and your search query. I tested the other person's question on this site, it returned 8 results and none of them contained the answer. Went to google, used their site specific search and the second link was the answer.

I searched this site today for "2007 FLHTCU check engine light stays on for 7 seconds after starting" and got "Sorry - no matches please try some different terms." That's because there is no post with all or most of those words in it and that's all the forum software is capable of looking for.

Searched Google for "site:hdforums.com 2007 FLHTCU check engine light stays on for 7 seconds after starting" and the 4th result was the answer to my question. (it sent me here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...ity-light.html)

Using this site's search "function" is like using a hammer and chisel to remove a bolt when you have the correct size wrench in your box.

Old 06-22-2013 | 03:49 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I think that's how some old threads get revived, by doing a search on Google and the answer comes up on here. I never thought about before, until I saw so many old threads, revived by new members.

I guess what I'm getting at is, do the search on Google and see if it comes up on here!

Old 06-22-2013 | 03:51 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah I always google the question in order to find the HD Forums thread I was looking for too. I never use the Forum search bar anymore.

Old 06-22-2013 | 05:26 PM
tryus
Road Captain

That's very good info boondock, here's something really weird: I use the mobile version of hdforums mostly. If you use the simple little search bar on the top of every page, it actually is a google search function. I copied your "2007 FLHTCU 7 second", and got virtually the same hits as going to google and typing the "site:__" stuff! Crazy but it's true, the forum uses google for the mobile version, but their own crappy function in the full version.

Last edited by tryus; 06-22-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2013 | 07:16 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the info. I never thought about googling a question and looking for a link to the hdforum. I will try that next time and see what it comes up with. A lot of times I also have no luck searching for stuff using the forums search function.

Old 06-23-2013 | 07:36 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

I always use "Advanced Search" and have had very good luck!! :-)