Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

WTF is up with this site?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012 | 02:53 AM
Scaredofrain
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
...all I know is, this website is absolutely the slowest, clunkiest, glitchiest, site I have ever seen....been a member since 2006, and it amazes me how just about EVERY site I go to, using Mozilla Firefox, and on Comcast high speed wireless at 300 mbps, is lightning fast..EXCEPT good old HD Forums....sloooooowwwww.....
This site is, in good Harley Davidson fashion, slow, temperamental, unpredictable etc. Be glad they left out the "expensive, smelly and oil-stains"
And looking at the replies, it's not just yours. They all do that!

Old 05-26-2012 | 05:16 AM
jpooch00
|
Elite HDF Member
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
This site is, in good Harley Davidson fashion, slow, temperamental, unpredictable etc. Be glad they left out the "expensive, smelly and oil-stains"
Kinda wonderin' if this site is secretly owned by the MOCO. If not, it's sure run like it. Got really big & popular so they don't really give a **** if the quality is there or not anymore. Pretty typical.

Old 05-26-2012 | 05:47 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master

Originally Posted by bcane98
If you look at the very top right of you picture (put your glasses on cause it's small)... you will see the message "HDForums.com/Maintenance Window, we'll return shortly"
I've had my glasses on several times. As an 'IT' guy myself, maintenance windows are typically scheduled events within a specific time frame. Not sporadically and intermittently throughout the day, which is where these 'splash pages' and 404's keep popping up. Unless they're trying to fix a problem, and can't wait for the scheduled maintenance window, there's something wrong. Just sayin.

Old 05-26-2012 | 05:57 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master

Originally Posted by Scaredofrain
You might try seeing if your browser has an option (and I'm almost 100% sure it does) to turn off java script. That MAY have a side benefit of disabling some of these obnoxious 'interactive' ads. It may not work, either, but you can always turn it back on if it doesn't.

Old 05-26-2012 | 06:31 AM
UJUSTLOST
Advanced

This site goes down more than Jenna Jameson. I am on 10 other message boards for cars, guns, and motorcycles and never have the issues I have with this site. It is certainly not my browser or computer, I can assure that.

Old 05-26-2012 | 06:35 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master

Originally Posted by UJUSTLOST
This site goes down more than Jenna Jameson. I am on 10 other message boards for cars, guns, and motorcycles and never have the issues I have with this site. It is certainly not my browser or computer, I can assure that.
You're 100% correct. The problem lies with whoever is hosting the site.

Old 05-26-2012 | 06:46 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RBWIDE
You might try seeing if your browser has an option (and I'm almost 100% sure it does) to turn off java script. That MAY have a side benefit of disabling some of these obnoxious 'interactive' ads. It may not work, either, but you can always turn it back on if it doesn't.
A decent ad blocker will cure that.

Old 05-26-2012 | 06:56 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the 404s also and very slow response. I can type a line on the keyboard and actually stop typing and watch the line complete on the screen. I am a member of another forum that uses the same software that runs at normal speed.

Dunno...

Old 05-26-2012 | 06:59 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain

well last time i checked there were almost 200 thousand members here, not counting the ones that aren't members, that's a LOT of peeps, and if it's a busy day then yes it's going to be slow and you will get error signs, the server can't handle it, like a lot of forums out there do when they get overloaded, and if they need to run there maintenance then that make's it even worse.

Old 05-26-2012 | 07:00 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keithhu
A decent ad blocker will cure that.
True, it will. There's that very popular one from Lavasoft..Ad-Aware?? Something like that..blocks and or tracks cookies too, if I recall...I'm using OS X, and I haven't bothered to see if there's a Mac version..

Quick Reply: WTF is up with this site?