Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011 | 03:54 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by John TN
Rat1 there is an issue with using IE as a browser here at HDF, we know this, re-read my post, the problem is we can't find anyway to fix it, we don't have a clue how to fix this site to run faster with microsofts IE browser or why IE is slow here again you compare us to other sites, we are not them and if they were us you'd have the same problem, I will say again IE is not the only browser to use, we have a fix for you and you can't blame us for any problems on your end such as what you have had go on that did not come from us, maybe have someone who can upload FireFox for you, other than that, we can't help you, it's not an issue with us it's an issue with microsoft's browser IE and our site. I truly don't know what else to tell you except try FF use adblock or continue to be slow here, or leave the site, we have no other options for you other than those.
You are correct. With Vista or newer you can run IE9 and this site runs fine as it does with my laptop. My PC is XP so I can only get IE8 and the site runs awful. The only answer with XP or older is to go to Firefox or Chrome.
Other than that the answer is to upgrade the OS.

Old 10-29-2011 | 04:17 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rat1

If you search through my posts, you will find that I did try to download firefox ONCE. I don't know if it was a fluke or what but I got hit instantly with a spoof anti virus that was actually bad malaware. Nothing I could do would remove it.
Originally Posted by Snarly
You and a million others got that one. It could have
been on your computer days before it activated
. If
you'd like to read a security test of browsers, which
may surprise you here's a link to Antivirus Digest.
It's short and to the point
. http://antivirusdigest.com/2011/03/m...wser-for-2011/
Rat,
Think about it. You claim you got a virus or malware when
you downloaded Firefox, but you downloaded it with Internet
Explorer, and IE has been shown to be the most prone to
attack. UPDATE, the most important word for Windows,
your security program, your browser and anything else
connected to your computer. If you don't, you'll be looking
at more problems.jmo

Old 10-29-2011 | 04:19 PM
Rat1
Road Master

You and a million others got that one. It could have
been on your computer days before it activated. If
you'd like to read a security test of browsers, which
may surprise you here's a link to Antivirus Digest.
It's short and to the point. http://antivirusdigest.com/2011/03/m...wser-for-2011/
Well, I don't know if it came from Truckers Report , Here or what. All i know is that it hit me while trying out fire fox on this forum.

Old 10-29-2011 | 04:25 PM
FUBAR55
Road Master

Originally Posted by smokindave
Can you possibly add any more advertisements to slow down this site some more? This site is getting so slow to load pages because your servers can't handle all this advertising for EYE LASHES!!!! On a bike forum, GET REAL!!! My computer has locked up a couple of times because your servers can't handle all the crap loading on this site. I only have problems on this site, how about the rest of you?
Best eyelashes I've ever bought came from this site.

Old 10-29-2011 | 04:56 PM
Scarz
Road Master

Originally Posted by smokindave
Can you possibly add any more advertisements to slow down this site some more? This site is getting so slow to load pages because your servers can't handle all this advertising for EYE LASHES!!!! On a bike forum, GET REAL!!! My computer has locked up a couple of times because your servers can't handle all the crap loading on this site. I only have problems on this site, how about the rest of you?
I'm with you totally on this. Of all the web sites I frequent this is most frustrating due to its speed (or rather lack of).

Old 10-29-2011 | 05:39 PM
HarleyGyrene
Road Master

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Get firefox and add the adblocker plus add on. Advertisements will be a thing of the past. Attention...this is not an advertisement. LOL
+1 ! Thanks: works like a champ !!

Old 10-31-2011 | 06:58 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

At least some folks listen, it does work!!

Originally Posted by HarleyGyrene
+1 ! Thanks: works like a champ !!

Old 10-31-2011 | 07:35 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

For the record Rat1 I did a little checking on you, your Rat1 membership was started in 05/09, you were previously banned here in 11/09 as SNORAT, and had been banned previously before that for some reason, normally we'd just ban you again, but we're going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not trolling us. I can assure you that you didn't get a virus from us here while trying out Fire Fox.

Originally Posted by Rat1
Well, I don't know if it came from Truckers Report , Here or what. All i know is that it hit me while trying out fire fox on this forum.

Old 10-31-2011 | 08:41 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Snarly I do have to say you know what you're talking about, thanks for your help!!

Rat,
Think about it. You claim you got a virus or malware when
you downloaded Firefox, but you downloaded it with Internet
Explorer, and IE has been shown to be the most prone to
attack. UPDATE, the most important word for Windows,
your security program, your browser and anything else
connected to your computer. If you don't, you'll be looking
at more problems.jmo

Old 11-01-2011 | 04:30 AM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by John TN
For the record Rat1 I did a little checking on you, your Rat1 membership was started in 05/09, you were previously banned here in 11/09 as SNORAT, and had been banned previously before that for some reason, normally we'd just ban you again, but we're going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not trolling us. I can assure you that you didn't get a virus from us here while trying out Fire Fox.
I know what I got banned for and it was not trolling. It was for using a racial slur in the political section. The snorat account was created to try and contact one of the admin here because I was not given a reason as to the banning in the firstplace.

Terry knows all about it and why the ban was removed.

As far as the malware when I downloaded firefox and came here with it. I said it before, it might have been a fluke or something but it is what it is.

I am just trying to help you realize that it would be a benefit to EVERYONES browsing experience here in HDF if the issue was solved rather then tell people they need a special browser just for this forum.

How is this for an idea. Put a sticky at the top of the home page telling people that firefox or chrome along with an ad blocker is needed for smooth browsing here in HDF.

I still think it is like bringing your cage into the dealer with the CEL (check engine light) on and them putting a piece of tape over the light and saying the problem is fixed, but then that is me.

Also I checked on my browsers on both my laptop and my new desktop. My lap top is running the lastest version of IE 8 while my desktop is running the latest version of 9 and both are extemely slow here in HDF.

Both my computers have been updated with the newest antimalabytes and virus protection.

Quick Reply: Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###