Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011 | 06:54 AM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by John TN
Rat1...It's very simple to download Fire Fox it is free. folks ask for help we advise with what we know works at our site or doesn't, we cannot know all the parameters of everyones computers as home, such as, your ISP and what your speed is, cable/dsl/ wifi etc., if you have adware, malware, embedded in your computer or other virus', is it defragged, or updated with the latest updates from MS or Mac, is it kept at peak operating values, what antivirus you use, or adware or malware protection... it's known that Norton slows you down, Rat1, we only know on this end what works and what don't as far as browsers and site speed. If there was a magic answer we would love to hear it, this has been discussed from one end to other, time and time again, IE is the slowest here, and Firefox the fastest as far as browsers, also the amount of traffic, both on your ISP server as well as here affects speed.

I use fire fox and ad block, I have high speed cable and it's quite fast at times and sometimes a bit slow, we always have IT look into any issues and it's a known fact that IE is not the fastest browser here at HDF no matter what other sites you visit we are talking about HDF no other sites, I can tell you HDF's server is loaded with years and years of information, we don't delete any info or posts here on our servers, you can go back to day one, lots of other sites delete from time to time to help with speed, to tell you the truth, I can't believe it even runs period sometimes cause of the large amount of traffic and the vast info as I've stated is never deleted and always available. If you don't want to try our suggestion to use FireFox as a browser so be it, that is your issue if you don't, but it will help your situation, as it has many including myself, if we knew exactly what to solve we would, but make sure your end is as good as it can be possibly first. Hope this helps you.

John TN
HDF Admin Staff
My computers are clean, both of them. My lap top is a few years old and my desk top is about 6 months old. I am running Cable DSL and it is lightning fast on every other site I browse.

As far as the version of IE on my laptop, I am not sure. I know that my desktop has the latest version (as of 6 months ago, of IE on it and the newest version of windows. My laptop is still running XP.

I am on huge sites that deal with trucking, atvs, snowmobiles etc and they are all lighting fast on both my laptop and my desk top while HDF is a snail. Sometimes the page won't load at all and I end up closing IE and starting all over again.

As far as firefox, I don't care if I was paid to download it, still not changing browsers because I have never ever had issues running IE. I seriously have issues when a forum will only work properly using a certain browser. The admin and owners should have these same issues if they are worried about member base and forum usage.

Telling members to download a different browser is like a doctor telling you to put a bandaid on a broken arm and take an asprin.

How about this, why doesn't someone use IE and start turning things off and on till you find what is slowing the forum down so bad on IE. When you find the what is slowing it down so much then leave that thing off or look into why it is slowing the site down.

If it is one or some of the advertisments then so be it, remove them or look into the advertisment to see why it is slowing down the site.

Just a hint, when the page freezes or won't load, one or more of the ad windows is blank and you can see in the bottom of the page that it is trying to load one or more of the ads. And it is usually one of the animated ads. And it is usually an ad that has absolutly nothing to do with motorcycles muchless harley davidson motorcycles.

Old 10-28-2011 | 08:03 AM
jafhdo
Cruiser

IE... 1.Turn off Play Animations 2. Turn off Scripting Site runs like it should
Of course if you turn off scripting entirely, not everything on the site runs right.

Last edited by jafhdo; 10-28-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2011 | 09:13 AM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor

totally agreed with you. Try to use firefox. it is a better browser for surfing the net.

Old 10-28-2011 | 10:50 AM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rat1
My computers are clean, both of them. My lap top is a few years old and my desk top is about 6 months old. I am running Cable DSL and it is lightning fast on every other site I browse.

As far as the version of IE on my laptop, I am not sure. I know that my desktop has the latest version (as of 6 months ago, of IE on it and the newest version of windows. My laptop is still running XP.

I am on huge sites that deal with trucking, atvs, snowmobiles etc and they are all lighting fast on both my laptop and my desk top while HDF is a snail. Sometimes the page won't load at all and I end up closing IE and starting all over again.

As far as firefox, I don't care if I was paid to download it, still not changing browsers because I have never ever had issues running IE. I seriously have issues when a forum will only work properly using a certain browser. The admin and owners should have these same issues if they are worried about member base and forum usage.

Telling members to download a different browser is like a doctor telling you to put a bandaid on a broken arm and take an asprin.

How about this, why doesn't someone use IE and start turning things off and on till you find what is slowing the forum down so bad on IE. When you find the what is slowing it down so much then leave that thing off or look into why it is slowing the site down.

If it is one or some of the advertisments then so be it, remove them or look into the advertisment to see why it is slowing down the site.

Just a hint, when the page freezes or won't load, one or more of the ad windows is blank and you can see in the bottom of the page that it is trying to load one or more of the ads. And it is usually one of the animated ads. And it is usually an ad that has absolutly nothing to do with motorcycles muchless harley davidson motorcycles.
Rat,
I've read all your posts and your dead set in your thinking. Yes
the forum shuld run more smoothly, but some seem to have
problems that many don't. I'm on an old Gateway laptop, have
windows Vista (which some say is junk) and I'm posting with
IE9, no add blocker. I haven't had any problems since back
about three months ago when the forum had a glitch. It all boils
down to this; the forum is what it is and if your unwilling to
take the advice offered to improve your browsing then you'll
have to deal with what you have. I can't beleive you feel so
strongly about a three minute up grade that your willing to
make numorus posts that take forever. Doesn't make sence.jmo
Now I'll switch back to my Firefox browser.

Old 10-29-2011 | 01:02 AM
Rat1
Road Master

I have grown use to the fact that the owners or IT admin don't want to admit that there is an issue and this forum will always be a snail compaired to other, just as large if not larger, forums on the net.

What I have a problem with is that they say the issue is Solved. That is an outright lie. The issue is not solved if you have to tell someone that they need a different browser to use the forum.

If you search through my posts, you will find that I did try to download firefox ONCE. I don't know if it was a fluke or what but I got hit instantly with a spoof anti virus that was actually bad malaware. Nothing I could do would remove it. It dissabled every trick that would allow you to remove it. Had to carry my computer to my computer tech and have him fix it while lightening up my wallet considerably.

Old 10-29-2011 | 06:10 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

I agree, Firefox is a work around. The problem with IE is not solved.

Old 10-29-2011 | 12:29 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

If you search through my posts, you will find that I did try to download firefox ONCE. I don't know if it was a fluke or what but I got hit instantly with a spoof anti virus that was actually bad malaware. Nothing I could do would remove it.
You and a million others got that one. It could have
been on your computer days before it activated. If
you'd like to read a security test of browsers, which
may surprise you here's a link to Antivirus Digest.
It's short and to the point
. http://antivirusdigest.com/2011/03/m...wser-for-2011/

Old 10-29-2011 | 02:55 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Rat1 there is an issue with using IE as a browser here at HDF, we know this, re-read my post, the problem is we can't find anyway to fix it, we don't have a clue how to fix this site to run faster with microsofts IE browser or why IE is slow here again you compare us to other sites, we are not them and if they were us you'd have the same problem, I will say again IE is not the only browser to use, we have a fix for you and you can't blame us for any problems on your end such as what you have had go on that did not come from us, maybe have someone who can upload FireFox for you, other than that, we can't help you, it's not an issue with us it's an issue with microsoft's browser IE and our site. I truly don't know what else to tell you except try FF use adblock or continue to be slow here, or leave the site, we have no other options for you other than those.

Old 10-29-2011 | 03:02 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Maybe IE microsoft can solve it for you, ask them, we have no answer to why their browser is slower here, it has been looked at extensively by our IT dept, if it was just on our end why does FF run so fast here, you'd think all browsers would be slow, not just IE???

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
I agree, Firefox is a work around. The problem with IE is not solved.

Old 10-29-2011 | 03:05 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

people still use Interner Exploder ?

Quick Reply: Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###