Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011 | 08:55 PM
mcain49
Road Master

I use a windows based laptop with IE8 and a Mac with the Safari browser and chrome. The windows computer is definitely slower and the pages take longer to load here. I use the Mac on this site to shorten the wait times.

Old 09-30-2011 | 07:47 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
I'm not sure what you mean by "none of it seems to work with IE8 or lower"?
Are you talking about those free malware removal tools I mentioned? Baloney! They work with IE8 and lower...I work with them all day/every day, I do computers for a living..in all environments. Although you don't want lower than IE8..as IE 7 and earlier are quite easily exploited by malware. IE 8 got fairly secure.
True...the freebie adblock plus for IE costs money...although there are other ways to get adblockplus to protect IE users for free..but that's a whole big subject.
No, that's not what I'm saying. I have malwarebytes on my XP/IE8 machine and it works great but does not fix the issues with this site. Ghostery and Adblock also do not speed up the connection on this site. That's why I switched to Firefox.
On my Vista/IE9 laptop this site runs fine.

Last edited by nvsteve; 09-30-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2011 | 08:12 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nvsteve
No, that's not what I'm saying. I have malwarebytes on my XP/IE8 machine and it works great but does not fix the issues with this site. Ghostery and Adblock also do not speed up the connection on this site. That's why I switched to Firefox.
On my Vista/IE9 laptop this site runs fine.
Ahh....gotcha.
Yeah, Vista and Windows 7 have an "auto tuning" TCP stack. That is...they can adjust and optimize their network settings to match what is on the other end and what they're connected to.

With Windows XP (and earlier)...that is fixed...and often times those values get corrupted or changed due to many different things.
Allow me to recommend a tweaking tool to run on your WinXP rig...the Speedguide TCP Optimizer
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
Run it...adjust the slide bar to your tested internet speed...have it save a backup of your registry items that will be changed...apply the recommended changes, reboot..and see if there's any improvement.

The above tool is a trusted tool....I am staff at that website, and the guy that wrote that tool and created that website is a friend of mine. The website is focused on "tweaking/tuning" your PC.

Old 09-30-2011 | 11:29 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Ahh....gotcha.
Yeah, Vista and Windows 7 have an "auto tuning" TCP stack. That is...they can adjust and optimize their network settings to match what is on the other end and what they're connected to.

With Windows XP (and earlier)...that is fixed...and often times those values get corrupted or changed due to many different things.
Allow me to recommend a tweaking tool to run on your WinXP rig...the Speedguide TCP Optimizer
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
Run it...adjust the slide bar to your tested internet speed...have it save a backup of your registry items that will be changed...apply the recommended changes, reboot..and see if there's any improvement.

The above tool is a trusted tool....I am staff at that website, and the guy that wrote that tool and created that website is a friend of mine. The website is focused on "tweaking/tuning" your PC.
Hey thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 09-30-2011 | 11:30 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Firefox + AdBlockPlus = No ads on this forum. Ever.

Old 10-08-2011 | 01:43 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army

My advice:

1. Clean your browser history

2. Delete all cookies

3. Switch to Google Chrome or Firefox.

Originally Posted by "Terry"TheTrollKiller
I quit using IE in 2007 and have never gone back. I'm using a Dell XPS Laptop with nothing special at all and the site is fast as lightening. I also use a Toshiba Netbook when I'm away from home and it is also fast. HDF is the largest Harley forum on the internet. We have millions of pictures posted and yes, we have advertisers and banners. It takes some cash to operate a forum like this and we are still free when many of other HD Forums remotely close to our size are now pay sites. We gained many members when they went to Pay Sites so I think we'll keep things the way they are.

Terry
HDF Admin

Old 10-25-2011 | 05:01 AM
Rat1
Road Master

If a person has to download a new browser to navigate the forum properly then the issue is not SOLVED. It is still an issue for myself and others.

I am on many other forums on the net and this is the ONLY one that has issues with browsers.

Old 10-25-2011 | 05:41 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Hey that's what keeps the site free for us, may I have some more please?

Old 10-25-2011 | 07:23 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rat1
If a person has to download a new browser to navigate the forum properly then the issue is not SOLVED. It is still an issue for myself and others.

I am on many other forums on the net and this is the ONLY one that has issues with browsers.
Which version of IE do you have? Which operating system?

Old 10-26-2011 | 12:35 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Rat1...It's very simple to download Fire Fox it is free. folks ask for help we advise with what we know works at our site or doesn't, we cannot know all the parameters of everyones computers as home, such as, your ISP and what your speed is, cable/dsl/ wifi etc., if you have adware, malware, embedded in your computer or other virus', is it defragged, or updated with the latest updates from MS or Mac, is it kept at peak operating values, what antivirus you use, or adware or malware protection... it's known that Norton slows you down, Rat1, we only know on this end what works and what don't as far as browsers and site speed. If there was a magic answer we would love to hear it, this has been discussed from one end to other, time and time again, IE is the slowest here, and Firefox the fastest as far as browsers, also the amount of traffic, both on your ISP server as well as here affects speed.

I use fire fox and ad block, I have high speed cable and it's quite fast at times and sometimes a bit slow, we always have IT look into any issues and it's a known fact that IE is not the fastest browser here at HDF no matter what other sites you visit we are talking about HDF no other sites, I can tell you HDF's server is loaded with years and years of information, we don't delete any info or posts here on our servers, you can go back to day one, lots of other sites delete from time to time to help with speed, to tell you the truth, I can't believe it even runs period sometimes cause of the large amount of traffic and the vast info as I've stated is never deleted and always available. If you don't want to try our suggestion to use FireFox as a browser so be it, that is your issue if you don't, but it will help your situation, as it has many including myself, if we knew exactly what to solve we would, but make sure your end is as good as it can be possibly first. Hope this helps you.

John TN
HDF Admin Staff

Originally Posted by Rat1

Quick Reply: Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###