Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011 | 11:23 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
+1.

Also, at one time, FireFox has a Harley-Davidson theme browser, it was gone after an update, and I'm too lazy to look for it .....
The guy who made the Harley format was a member here on the forums (gconklin)last I heard he had a wreck or close call and sold his bike so it is not available for the newer versions of FF.

Drew

Old 09-29-2011 | 12:20 PM
deanp1964
Road Master

It is slower. Hopefully they'll use some of the ad revenue to upgrade their servers. The need is evident.

Old 09-29-2011 | 12:24 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fleabite
I totally agree with this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a born-again capitalist, so I'm ok with any company's success. But the larger the company...well, you know. And don't be fooled by the "it's a free site" comments, as the users (us) are draw here organically from search engines and directories that have Internet Brands websites registered with them. As well as very good SEO (search engine optimization). As in, all traffic ends here. Why? So they can sell more advertising. Simple.

I found it mildly amusing a while back when there was a discussion about how well this website has done, and how other similar sites have died or don't match the traffic we have here. Well, I think a lot of that has to do with IB picking up the site, as well as pure luck with timing. But that's just my humble opinion.

Sorry...back on track. As far as the ads are concerned, firefox and adblock. And, if you want to get rid of everything, there's also an add-on called "No Script", but that one can be a little tricky, and if you're not internet or very computer savy, I might stay away from that one.

And, it's not their servers, it's your ISP and your machine.
Ive already admitted I dont know much about computers but if this is correct, how come this is the only site I get on that seems to be slow>

Old 09-29-2011 | 01:00 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

For those with Firefox, add Ghostery also. It will stop spying, etc. Also on Chrome I believe. Doesn't help much on IE.

Old 09-29-2011 | 01:15 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

First......running a server is not cheap....it's very expensive. Co-lo fees/hosting, licensing for the forum software, server maintenance, DNS fees, blah blah.

Those monthly server hosting fees come in and need to be paid. I've gone stuff like this in the past, it sucks when you're short on income for the month and those server co-lo fees come out of your own pocket.

Next...if you're getting a LOT of ads....could very well be adware/malware on your PC...clean it up with some of the better malware removal software out there....free. Malwarebytes, superantispyware, spybot search and destroy..to name a few.

Uninstall all those toolbars many computer users accumulate over time..many of those are a bit ad-ware like in behavior.

Use an alternative browser like Firefox..or better yet...Chrome..and install the free add-on called AdBlockPlus. Blocks those ads so they never show up on your screen..make surfing faster, and safer (since sometimes malware sneaks in on ads).

Logically...staff that run forums don't like or support these adblockers. It's less "views" for their ads...so the more of us that use them...they see it, doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at how many visitors are on the boards...and see that the ad view count isn't as high as it should be with that many users. Which lowers their ability to generate income to support the server. So they have to try to offset that by putting in more ads..unfortunately at lower prices. So the people without adblockers end up paying the price by dealing with double the ads because many of us run with blockers.

Old 09-29-2011 | 04:52 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
First......running a server is not cheap....it's very expensive. Co-lo fees/hosting, licensing for the forum software, server maintenance, DNS fees, blah blah.

Those monthly server hosting fees come in and need to be paid. I've gone stuff like this in the past, it sucks when you're short on income for the month and those server co-lo fees come out of your own pocket.

Next...if you're getting a LOT of ads....could very well be adware/malware on your PC...clean it up with some of the better malware removal software out there....free. Malwarebytes, superantispyware, spybot search and destroy..to name a few.

Uninstall all those toolbars many computer users accumulate over time..many of those are a bit ad-ware like in behavior.

Use an alternative browser like Firefox..or better yet...Chrome..and install the free add-on called AdBlockPlus. Blocks those ads so they never show up on your screen..make surfing faster, and safer (since sometimes malware sneaks in on ads).

Logically...staff that run forums don't like or support these adblockers. It's less "views" for their ads...so the more of us that use them...they see it, doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at how many visitors are on the boards...and see that the ad view count isn't as high as it should be with that many users. Which lowers their ability to generate income to support the server. So they have to try to offset that by putting in more ads..unfortunately at lower prices. So the people without adblockers end up paying the price by dealing with double the ads because many of us run with blockers.
I agree with everything you said but none of it seems to work well with IE8 or lower. That's why I switched to Mozilla FF. You can't get Adblock plus on IE without paying a $10/yr fee.
Part of what the naysayers don't understand, imho, is that Chrome and Firefox are better browsers to begin with.

Old 09-29-2011 | 05:16 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Ad's not really slowing it down.
Ad's and sponsors pay the bills just a fact of life.
At least I have not seen anyone Banned from the site because they do not agree with a sponsors product, I have seen that on another well know site.
You may have a Malware issue if you getting so many Nest to check that out.
Download and run the free verion.
http://shop.malwarebytes.org/lpa/342...FQUCQAodlGLQ2w

Old 09-29-2011 | 05:54 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Ad's not really slowing it down.
Ad's and sponsors pay the bills just a fact of life.
At least I have not seen anyone Banned from the site because they do not agree with a sponsors product, I have seen that on another well know site.
You may have a Malware issue if you getting so many Nest to check that out.
Download and run the free verion.
http://shop.malwarebytes.org/lpa/342...FQUCQAodlGLQ2w
Smitty, that won't fix the issues with IE8 and lower. If you have any OS less than Vista you can't upgrade to IE9. My Vista laptop with 9 runs fine on this site. My PC with XP and IE8 is the ***** on this site and I have Malwarebytes,ghostery and Addblock (unpaid).
Answer: Chrome or Firefox

Old 09-29-2011 | 06:33 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

Originally Posted by deanp1964
It is slower. Hopefully they'll use some of the ad revenue to upgrade their servers. The need is evident.
Even as a Sponsor on this site I have to say that there is a lot of crap here that is not even remotely related to HD..Most of the time I can not use the search function,or my recent topics unless I log on at 3 am.. What Gives?

Old 09-29-2011 | 07:54 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nvsteve
I agree with everything you said but none of it seems to work well with IE8 or lower. That's why I switched to Mozilla FF. You can't get Adblock plus on IE without paying a $10/yr fee.
Part of what the naysayers don't understand, imho, is that Chrome and Firefox are better browsers to begin with.
I'm not sure what you mean by "none of it seems to work with IE8 or lower"?
Are you talking about those free malware removal tools I mentioned? Baloney! They work with IE8 and lower...I work with them all day/every day, I do computers for a living..in all environments. Although you don't want lower than IE8..as IE 7 and earlier are quite easily exploited by malware. IE 8 got fairly secure.
True...the freebie adblock plus for IE costs money...although there are other ways to get adblockplus to protect IE users for free..but that's a whole big subject.

Quick Reply: Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###