Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011 | 09:24 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
that's what I've been using Firefox now for a long time, and they have the adblocker plus as an add on, which i use and i don't get ANY advertisements at all.

+1.

Also, at one time, FireFox has a Harley-Davidson theme browser, it was gone after an update, and I'm too lazy to look for it .....

Old 09-29-2011 | 09:24 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Notice the amount of Spam mebers that have been showing up also. The Admins need to have an idiot test in the sign up to reduce them.

Old 09-29-2011 | 09:34 AM
smokindave
|
Road Warrior

Holy Cow Drew, I installed both of these and what a difference. Thanks, you guys are awesome!!!

Old 09-29-2011 | 09:52 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by fishbust
Yeah same here. Very slow to load no matter where I dial in from.

Some sites offer membership for a modest annual fee. When a member, you don't get the ads or pop-ups that the free-guys get, pages load lightning fast. The difference is NIGHT AND DAY, worth every penny if you are a routine visitor.

Thehulltruth.com is such a site.
So what your saying is if you become a member you don't get all the advertising ads? I was actually thinkin about signing up, I'm on here a lot (guess I've got more time on my hands than most?)

Old 09-29-2011 | 09:53 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Something Ive started to notice on this thread is the guys that have asses in their avatars seem to be chiming in here a lot. Is it coincidence or are the **** lookers the ones having most of the problems?

Old 09-29-2011 | 09:58 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member

IE is junk, Firefox runs a close second but if you want something that works well run Google Chrome runs like a champ!

Old 09-29-2011 | 10:00 AM
supercrewser
Road Master

Originally Posted by smokindave
Can you possibly add any more advertisements to slow down this site some more? This site is getting so slow to load pages because your servers can't handle all this advertising for EYE LASHES!!!! On a bike forum, GET REAL!!! My computer has locked up a couple of times because your servers can't handle all the crap loading on this site. I only have problems on this site, how about the rest of you?
Have you tried going to your internet options and clear all your cookies and browsing data , this can help a lot.Cleaning out the history on the search page helps also.

Old 09-29-2011 | 10:15 AM
Denver Dave
Road Master

If you had a choice of a free site with advertisements, or no advertisements and a small monthly fee... say $5, which would you choose? I know which way I would go.

Old 09-29-2011 | 10:24 AM
socalmoe
Tourer

Its not the ads, its the site traffic, pages loaded in a flash just now. You might also be running backgroung junk on you computer. Besides this site is free and it cost money to run it so.....

Old 09-29-2011 | 11:08 AM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bellgnte
Yep. Same here. It got worse when "Internet Brands" took over the site. It used to be a biker forum. Now it is a revenue generating website for them. Guess making money on the club membership didn't go over as well as they wanted. Got to sell those adds......blah blah blah
I totally agree with this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a born-again capitalist, so I'm ok with any company's success. But the larger the company...well, you know. And don't be fooled by the "it's a free site" comments, as the users (us) are draw here organically from search engines and directories that have Internet Brands websites registered with them. As well as very good SEO (search engine optimization). As in, all traffic ends here. Why? So they can sell more advertising. Simple.

I found it mildly amusing a while back when there was a discussion about how well this website has done, and how other similar sites have died or don't match the traffic we have here. Well, I think a lot of that has to do with IB picking up the site, as well as pure luck with timing. But that's just my humble opinion.

Sorry...back on track. As far as the ads are concerned, firefox and adblock. And, if you want to get rid of everything, there's also an add-on called "No Script", but that one can be a little tricky, and if you're not internet or very computer savy, I might stay away from that one.

And, it's not their servers, it's your ISP and your machine.

Quick Reply: Enough with the advertisements ###Issue solved 2011-10-08###