Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

When are the power that be going to check in on the slowness

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011 | 07:32 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
As a sponsor here I have to say with everyone running add blocker just so that they can view the site it is a little disappointing..We pay for a banner and wonder if it is being seen..When we try to post specials that we run we must post them in vendor classified section where they don't even get looked at and fall off the face of the earth in about an hours time..
You are correct. There are no banners when running adblock. The vendors names (links) are all that are visible on the right.

Old 08-06-2011 | 06:13 AM
Rat1
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
As a sponsor here I have to say with everyone running add blocker just so that they can view the site it is a little disappointing..We pay for a banner and wonder if it is being seen..When we try to post specials that we run we must post them in vendor classified section where they don't even get looked at and fall off the face of the earth in about an hours time..
I don't think the problem lies with regular static style vendor banners. I believe the problem lies with the flash style or animated banners. That and why the heck do we have to see car ads, dog food ads etc on a Harley site.

At this moment there is a Toyota ad at the top of the page and a Buick ad on the right side of the page and something that looks like a reusuable grocery bag ad at the bottom of the page.

Pretty much every vendor ad on the right side of the page is constantly changing its picture.

If I wanted to buy something then I would look at the vendor links section and find the vendor that has what I am looking for. I don't need a bunch of changing ads to direct me to what I am looking for.

If these types of ads are slowing the forum down for many users then they probly won't be on the forum long anyway which means that they won't be clicking on the ads. Meaning that this is actually a negative for the forum and the sponsors/vendors.

If people/users can't properly, effectivly, navigate the forum without having to use a special browser then chances are that they are not going to be on the forum much, muchless clicking on one of the vendor/sponsor ads.

Old 08-11-2011 | 05:44 AM
Rat1
|
Road Master

I quess the owners don't care since there has not been a coment.

Old 08-13-2011 | 02:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I don't run adblock or what ever it is.
I do use Google Chrome, IMO its faster than Firefox and a bunch faster the IE (hate IE) Also I pay for the middle grade High speed which it usaully really fast.

What gets me is I'll be reading and for while its fine loading pages, then the next page may take 30 secs - 1 min or more to load and be that way for several mins. Then minutes later its fast again like its usually is, then later it takes a long time to load again..

Thats what get me.

Last edited by oct1949; 08-13-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2011 | 04:43 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
I don't run adblock or what ever it is.
I do use Google Chrome, IMO its faster than Firefox and a bunch faster the IE (hate IE) Also I pay for the middle grade High speed which it usaully really fast.

What gets me is I'll be reading and for while its fine loading pages, then the next page may take 30 secs - 1 min or more to load and be that way for several mins. Then minutes later its fast again like its usually is, then later it takes a long time to load again..

Thats what get me.
Well then, maybe Chrome doesn't run faster than Firefox? I'd prefer to run IE but Firefox works great.

Old 08-16-2011 | 07:26 PM
mecompco
Cruiser

This site does seem slow. I'm a mod on another forum that Internet Brands owns and have heard complaints there as well. Interesting that both sites were down today at the same time. Perhaps IB needs to bump up the server capacity a bit?

Michael

Old 08-16-2011 | 07:32 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member

The site was gone for most of the afternoon

Old 08-16-2011 | 09:02 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Originally Posted by Rat1
I quess the owners don't care since there has not been a coment.
Could be that we haven't been told anything that may be causing these slow downs or drop in accessibility to the forums. Guess we will all know what is going on sometime tomorrow.

Old 08-16-2011 | 09:35 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by nvsteve
Well then, maybe Chrome doesn't run faster than Firefox? I'd prefer to run IE but Firefox works great.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

U may be right the way its running today. but in the past I've timed different sites and their load time and G-Chrome alway seemed a little faster,, plus after using it for a couple yrs now I can get around in it better..

Maybe its time to go back to Firefox..

Old 08-17-2011 | 07:03 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

U may be right the way its running today. but in the past I've timed different sites and their load time and G-Chrome alway seemed a little faster,, plus after using it for a couple yrs now I can get around in it better..

Maybe its time to go back to Firefox..
Firefox 6 was released a couple days ago. Haven't upgraded yet. Supposed to be faster.

Quick Reply: When are the power that be going to check in on the slowness