Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Site Speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009 | 04:33 PM
wulffe
|
Tourer
Default Site Speed

Idle curiosity - Do threads with lots of messages slow down the site for people not reading them? There are a couple that I have to skip over whenever I'm looking for 'new' ones which is no big deal - just wondering if tby just existing they are slowing things down generally for everyone (this being essentially a big database).

Is there any way to never seee particular threads again when using the regular process for looking at new posts in individual forums?

Old 04-07-2009 | 05:16 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

To answer the first question it would depend on a couple of things, how much bandwidth we have I think for one, our data base grows a lot everyday, it would also depend on your computer, the ISP service you have, the speed of your ISP internet connection and the amount of traffic online.

Second question this from our FAQ's don't know if this will help.

Viewing New Posts or Today's Posts

How can I see the latest posts?

There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.

If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.

If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.

The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.

Old 04-08-2009 | 03:35 AM
wulffe
|
Tourer

Thanks for the speedy reply, John

I don't use the 'today's posts' function since it returns too many so I call up several of the forums individually and read the new ones in those forums. What I was hoping for is a way to mark some threads within the forums I look at so that I never see them again - no biggie.