Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Messages Too Wide To Fit on Screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 PM
wulffe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run at 1280x1024 and only occasionally have trouble so those are probably message driven. When I switch over to 1024x768 I get the scroll bars also. But John TN is reporting his works at 1024x768

Did some googling and couldn't come up with any solutions you could use. Some technical items that might relate indirectly although I have no idea what they mean:

http://p2p.wrox.com/html-code-clinic...very-page.html
http://www.brunildo.org/test/ie7_ithscroll.html

Assuming you are at the highest resolution your situation will support, you might consider trying a different browser just to see where the settings issue might be. Google has a new one (google 'google chrome'). I'd recommend installing that without importing things from your current browser (as it will offer to do for you) just so you don't import something which is creating the situation.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Chas63
Tourer

My monitor size is 16" measured diagonally across the screen from top-left to bottom-right.

I'm running Windows Internet Explorer.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try mozilla firefox as your browser, it's a free download and you can still use IE or FF either one, you'll find FF is faster than IE here at HDF, try that and lets see what happens, it's got to be a setting on your computer or browser, or this page would be flooded with complaint posts if everyone was having this problem with every forum we have on every page that they looked at, I couldn't stand that myself.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Chas63
Tourer

John,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not interested in installing another browser.

I've used IE for many years and have absolutely zero problems with it on other sites I visit. Nearly every day I spend a couple of hours visiting various message boards on the web.

I have no problems at all viewing the messages without scrolling on these other boards. In fact, on all other boards, I can set the Text Size one size larger than I have it on this board and still get it all on my screen.

I repeat. This is the ONLY board that I have this problem with. If there were something wrong with my computer settings, wouldn't I have problems on other boards too?

Thanks for your interest. Sorry we can't seem to find out what the problem is.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chas63
John,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not interested in installing another browser.

If there were something wrong with my computer settings, wouldn't I have problems on other boards too?

Thanks for your interest. Sorry we can't seem to find out what the problem is.
I don't know what else to do, as far as other boards I don't know, the suggestion to try FF is the only thing I know to try, I used IE for years but Mikeeeeeee turned me on to FF and I have never looked back. Sorry we couldn't help you.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Chas63
Tourer

I recently had some very SERIOUS computer problems. Things got so bad that I had to do a System Recovery which took my computer back to when it was brand new. I even had to get a new disk from my ISP to get my computer connected to the internet. I lost all my emails and all the family pictures I had stored on the computer. Fortunately, I had copied most of the pictures to disk a few months ago.

Anyway, the good news is that now I can see the entire messages on this forum without having to scroll back and forth across the page to read them. Now I may spend more time on here since it isn't such a pain in the butt to read what other people are writing.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Chas

Old 07-08-2009, 11:31 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,834 Likes on 5,271 Posts

As it happens I have the very same problem with message width, and only with this forum. Logic would then tell us that the problem, therefore, is with this forum's software and not with my computer. For some reason, the forum's display is unable to adjust itself to the size of the screen, as other forums are able to do.

Since the stance here seems to be (as it is with all faulty technical issues) "It ain't us, it's you," I won't be expecting any solutions. But I did think it worth mentioning.

Originally Posted by Chas63
I recently had some very SERIOUS computer problems. Things got so bad that I had to do a System Recovery which took my computer back to when it was brand new. I even had to get a new disk from my ISP to get my computer connected to the internet. I lost all my emails and all the family pictures I had stored on the computer. Fortunately, I had copied most of the pictures to disk a few months ago.

Anyway, the good news is that now I can see the entire messages on this forum without having to scroll back and forth across the page to read them. Now I may spend more time on here since it isn't such a pain in the butt to read what other people are writing.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Chas

Old 07-08-2009, 11:34 AM
NFFN
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right click on your desktop, click properties and then settings. Make the resolution as high as possible, try 1024X768

Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,834 Likes on 5,271 Posts

Originally Posted by NFFN
Right click on your desktop, click properties and then settings. Make the resolution as high as possible, try 1024X768
Thanks, but I'm already at 1280x854. Same on 4 different browsers, only on this forum. It's the forum software. But I can live with it (no choice, really).

Old 09-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sure wish they would get it fixed...

Quick Reply: Messages Too Wide To Fit on Screen