Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Slow???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:23 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stro1965
Been REALLY slow for me for 3 days. Had to give up on it a couple of times.
Same here, takes quite a while to load up, never had the problem before this past few days/week.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maineultraclassic
Probably has a lot to do with the 3 Toyota advertisements that reload everytime you move around. Or at least they are Toyota today, other times they are different companies.

Way too many ads on the forum now............slowing it down a lot more then it ever was before.

Steve
I agree that that is likely what the problem is. (Too many GIF moving ads) Idon't have this problem anywhere else I surf (other websites) and it just seems very noticable of the HDForum. I don't think the admins / moderators are taking this too serious? It really is a problem somewhere. Maybe just way too many users for the bandwidth?

Last edited by RODEO; 02-26-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:18 AM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Been extreeeeemely slow for me. Even getting those Database Error msgs again. Site needs some maintenance.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have RoadRunner and I use Firefox(latest updates)........and this site is by far the slowest thing going right now.

I have the same setup and it's fine here. I'm gonna try adblock too to see how much that speeds it up.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just added ad block and it's not really any faster here, but it may be elsewhere. thanks for the suggestion Terry.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
I agree that that is likely what the problem is. (Too many GIF moving ads) Idon't have this problem anywhere else I surf (other websites) and it just seems very noticable of the HDForum. I don't think the admins / moderators have a good attitude about this. If you are hoping us complainers go away, we just might. You guys need to take a lesson from people like Wheeldock and Fuel-Moto I think.
pssssst.....I'm complainin right along with ya

Old 03-01-2009, 11:59 AM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty bad when you have a high speed Internet connection and you can go take a wiz while the home page loads. Dialupers must not be wanted.

Perhaps some more ads that hardly anyone clicks on can slow things down more. If you really need the money, how about offering a ad free option for a small fee?

Old 03-01-2009, 12:55 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HRLYSG
It's pretty bad when you have a high speed Internet connection and you can go take a wiz while the home page loads. Dialupers must not be wanted.

Perhaps some more ads that hardly anyone clicks on can slow things down more. If you really need the money, how about offering a ad free option for a small fee?
I'm in. I'd pay a reasonable annual Membership fee to speed things up. Sure, some would complain about that and may or may not pony up but I'll bet most here would find the benefits of this excellent forum well worth a small annual fee.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:03 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

originally posted by rodeo view post
i agree that that is likely what the problem is. (too many gif moving ads) idon't have this problem anywhere else i surf (other websites) and it just seems very noticable of the hdforum. I don't think the admins / moderators have a good attitude about this. If you are hoping us complainers go away, we just might. You guys need to take a lesson from people like wheeldock and fuel-moto i think.
All I can say is damn, we aren't perfect here, but that is an unfound/untrue statement as I've ever seen made here, if you have to leave us so be it, at least we have tried, we listen, we look, we help, all of us mods and onsite admins are volunteers here and we have regular jobs, this forum is huge, there's a lot of places to keep up with if you are a mod or admin here. We moved the forum issues room up near the top of the HDF disscussion forums main page a while back so y'all can find it easier and it's in our view finder more often now to try to catch any problems as fast as we can.

You can block the ads, so that shouldn't be a problem concerning speed, doesn't cost you a dime or a membership fee to do that.

Rodeo you act like we haven't even responded here, did you read all of the posts before you posted, have you tried any of the suggestions such as firefox etc. clearing your cache etc.??

This is a private forum and they have ads and will continue to have them most forums today do to pay the bills, we have never charged for membership and the owners don't have any plans to do this at any of their 60 forums.

Block the ads if you don't want to see them and speed your computer up, if you continue to use IE over Firefox it's going to be slower here than Firefox, this is a known fact, you have the option if you want to choose it, we can only offer suggestions on what we know works most all of the time with speed issues here, doesn't take my page minutes to load I'm only on 5mb cable not a T1 or anything, but I do run Firefox and I might try the google chrome next, anytime I can get more speed for free I'm going to try it.

If you try everything we suggest and you are still having problems please feel free to PM me or one of the admins as this will get a faster response over this room.

Last edited by John TN; 03-01-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:10 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HRLYSG

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do for folks that still can only get a dial-up connection, except for you to block the ads and the pictures.