Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Not an issue, but enhancement request

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009 | 01:49 PM
mtnlvr
|
Road Warrior
Default Not an issue, but enhancement request

Hi...I wasn't really sure where to post this as I'm not having an issue with the forum, but was wondering about a change to the way the page numbers are displayed behind the title of a thread.

Currently, a multi-page thread is displayed as:
(1 2 3 ... Last Page).

I was wondering if this could be changed to display the first and last three pages or so, something like:
(1 2 3 ... 55 56 57),

where pages 56 and 57 are show bold to indicate that pages 56 and 57 have new posts since you last visit.

A thread that has never been marked as read would show as:
(1 2 3 ...55 56 57).

This way it would be easier to find where you left off in a thread.

Or maybe there could be a "continue" link for each thread that when clicked would take you to where you left off reading that thread, much like a bookmark for each thread.

Thoughts? Or does this already exist?

Thanks,
Jeremy.

Old 02-18-2009 | 12:19 PM
mtnlvr
|
Road Warrior

Nothing? No comments?

Old 02-20-2009 | 02:46 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member

This from our FAQ's https://www.hdforums.com/forum/faq.php

Viewing New Posts or Today's Posts

How can I see the latest posts?

There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.

If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.

If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.

The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.

Thread Display Options

Can I change the order of threads?

You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.

You have three choices:

Linear Mode - posts are displayed chronologically, usually from oldest to newest. Posts are shown in a flat mode so that many posts can be viewed simultaneously. It is possible to change the ordering by changing your preferences in the User CP

Threaded Mode - a tree is shown along with every post. This shows you the relationship each post has to the others. It's easy to see who responded to whom. Only one post is shown at a time. By clicking on a single post in the post tree, the page will show that post and all posts made in response to it.

Hybrid Mode - This is a mixture of the linear and threaded modes. The post tree is displayed as in the threaded mode, but many posts are shown at the same time as in the linear modes.

Old 02-24-2009 | 10:36 PM
mtnlvr
|
Road Warrior

Thanks for your time and the reply.

I've experimented with the thread display and the new post a few times. The new post thing is ok but it lists all threads with new posts regardless of which forum they are in. No offense to the softies out there, but I only want to read the Dyna posts...along with a handful of other sections.

The way the threads are bold indicating new posts since the last visit is nice, its just that it would be handy if there was a way to get right to the page (or better yet the post) where I left off. Kind of like a bookmark for a thread.

Of course on the few forums I visit, I've don't thing I've ever seen this feature, but then again, I don't frequent other forums as much as this on.