Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Admin pls read

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008 | 10:01 PM
0ut1aw
|
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if this will help but, i can post all of this
I'm 6'4" and needed forward control extension really bad but hated the fact that they cost $175.00 from kuryakin (sp) so I decided to make my own.&nbsp\\; I had some help from my father in law mainly because he had some of the tool to make it easier, mainly a torch.
&nbsp\\;
I eyeballed the angle the forwards were setting at and laid out a new back plate and cut it out with the tourch and grind the edge smooth.&nbsp\\; used the control to mark and drill the 4 holes in the plate. painted black.
&nbsp\\;
to extend the brake rod I cut the old stud off and drilled and tapped the rod with 5/16 x 24 tap (same size as the brake cylinder on my 99 fxdl) then used a 5/16 x 24 all thread 4.5" long to extend the rod 3" and give 3/4" threads in each end
&nbsp\\;
for the shift rod (may replace one day) I used a tight fitting piece of tubing and bent it in an S to move the shifter out away from the frame, cut the shifter in half, slid it in the tubing, drilled the tubing through the shift rod and pinned it in place, measuring 3" greater than before it was cut.
&nbsp\\;
when I mounted it, it still hit the frame on downshift so I used 1/2 worth of stacked washers to move the left peg out another half inch.
&nbsp\\;
Mounted the plates with the original bolts and bought some nuts bolts and washers to mount the forwards on the plates.
&nbsp\\;
Total cost 10 bucks for the bolts and all thread and a die to clean up the all thread after cut.&nbsp\\; had the scrap metal to make the plates and tubing for the shifter

but when i try&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

a small list each on a sep line it dies
parts list

tubing 12"

all thread 4.5 in

12 washers if you need to move the pegs out like i did

black paint

3/8 or 1/4 in plate (about a 4" x 8" piece)

I will take some pictures and post the final mounted.

From what I see you have an sql problem, the words like, where and from are an issue when posting

Sorry I cant stop the programer in me
&nbsp\\;
I got this error when posting
&nbsp\\;
I will try and retype the post for the record
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

[IMG]local://upfiles/19128/916970652BBC49BE8969AB11B389B93D.jpg[/IMG]

I have 19 yrs in the USAF and cant think of anything worse than an Army guy riding my bike. just kidding. the militray is a great career and 2009 bikes are out

another strange thing is when you hover a post link you see &amp\\;nbsp but not in the post itself see attachment
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

[IMG]local://upfiles/19128/9C21AE00FF0A434FAC17094A72C2CA62.jpg[/IMG]

i will try to turn off my brain

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-06-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2008 | 06:26 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: admin pls read

That does not matter. We are in the process of changing the whole forum over to new software. The forum will be going down some time tonight or tomorrow for a while while the upgrades are performed.