Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Why is this site so slow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:30 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Why is this site so slow?

Things seem to be back to normal from my perspective, as of Monday 5-12-08 07:30am EDT.

Thanks to those who sheppard over the technical issues!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lh4x4

rat for speed. I have nine computers on the internet. All 5 to ten years old most with 1 gig processer. They all access the site with good speed. It can not be the site. End of story.
What the heck does someone do with 9 computers? [&:]

Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

One does vehicle maintinance records. One is for my Garmin and Superchips programmer. One is for tax records and is not on the network. One is for surfing. One is for photos. The rest or for the hell of it. I built and maintain all of them. In 1994 at work my boss told me I had to use a computer since we were going to automated ordering and work orders. I was the last hold out. Since I had to have one, I'm the kind of person who needs to know the inner workings. So I started building one. I can never have one of anything(exception 1 wife) I wound up building about three dozen and and repairing and upgrading for others.

That is why I have four cruisers, three sport cars, a truck, a SUV and two trailers. My collection of bicycles is down to fifty from 160 and I only have 8 sets of golf clubs.

I don't know it is due to obsesive compulsive behavior or adult atention deficet disorder but I have spent my life collecting coins, stamps , and whatever. Fortunatly I am able to indulge those passions.

The bottom line is I can and I want to.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:04 AM
grooveman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I notice it mostly in the evening hours during the week when most people are logged on here. Early in the morning and late at night it's usually fine so I would think it has something to do with bandwidth? I'm no expert but yes this forum is PAINFULLY slow. At times I just get frustrated and log off of it because the pages just won't load. And the excuse about it's your computer blah blah is getting old. If this is the ONLY site that does it then that pretty much sums it up.
I run a lot of websites myself and I know this is a big time money maker. The owners have banner ads splashed all over every square inch of the pages not to mention all the paid sponsors. My suggestion to the owners would be to invest some of that ad revenue back into the forum in order to make it a better experience for the loyal users.
Not criticizing so much as just suggesting because I like this forum and the people in here.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
TheBagger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.....much faster browsing on the HDForums!!!

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You are not he only one with a very slow response on this site. When I click on a thread, the top of the page loads fast, then the wait begins. If the page of interest was served before the ads maybe we could wait on the ads instead of the topic of interest. I have tried Firefox and had no change in speed. I have an adequately fast computer and a very fast internet connection. Maybe some ISPs scan these doubleclick ads for malware or something, but, yes this site is very slow most of the time for me.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It just took 45 seconds for the page to return after making the above post.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 156 Likes on 53 Posts

The site was down from just after midnight last night until almost noon today (as far as I know). There are still some bugs to be worked out. I run firefox and I'm usually lightening fast but it's slow fo me today too.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

If Ur using IE, thats why, try Mozilla firefox, or Google Chrome. I think Google Chrome is even faster. usually bout 1-3 secs at the most..

I don't use IE unless forced to.

Last edited by oct1949; 08-28-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oct1949
If Ur using IE, thats why, try Mozilla firefox, or Google Chrome. I think Google Chrome is even faster. usually bout 1-3 secs at the most..

I don't use IE unless forced to.
I think you're right. I've just started using it and am impressed. Less cumbersome than Firefox IMHO.