Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Why is this site so slow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:15 AM
blackpanhead53
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why is this site so slow?

[sm=idontcare.gif]

Old 05-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Give your computer a stage 1 upgrade!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:47 AM
SoALposer
Tourer

I have DSL and it is no problem, at wor---er my other computer, the first thread will always load quickly. The second is slow as Christmas, I can actually play one or two games of solitare, BUT, we have a main frame that has umpteen firewalls on it and any ad causes everything to be slowwwwwwwww.

But, maybe, just maybe it may be that when I am home, I wear chaps----yes assless, have you ever seen assed chaps????? If you have, they're PANTS. Anyway, "fingerless gloves", a black HD shirt, harness boots, and a full face helmet, that may explain why everything here at home is so fast. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 05-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

The site is slow because there's too many sig pics.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

The sig pics have nothing to do with it. You can go in your Profile and stop the sig, avatar and smiley pictures from loading and it won't make a bit of difference. Can any of you IT guys explain to someone that if the guy next door with the same IP is blazing fast and your high priced computer gets bogged down loading a page it might have something to do with your cookies, internet history, virus or the fact that you are running Internet Explorer when the forum runs a lot faster on Firefox. I was having problems back in November before I went to Firefox. I have two computers, both laptops. One is on high speed cable and the other is on whoever's internet I can pirate. Both run great. I'm in the middle of a cornfield in down state Illinois so it's not like I get any special internet signal.

ORIGINAL: Geoff

The site is slow because there's too many sig pics.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 PM
rat4spd
Novice

You're missing the COMMON DENOMINATOR. It's only THIS website that I frequent that is this slow. The "it's you're computer, it's you're cookies, it's you're firewall, it's you're browser, etc, etc........." is only valid if everything runs slow.

For me, only this site runs slow, and it's not 100% of the time which implicates further, something on the serverside. And let's get one thing straight, with up to 25Mb/s, ANYTHING less than instantaneous is SLOW. Several seconds is not acceptable for any webpage. Like I said though, I tolerate it because this is a good website.

I'm sure there are some people whose computer fits the ever present KNEE JERK reaction of the "It's you're computer" automatic with no investigation catch all, fit all answer, but not in my case.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

rat4spd had removed this post but I got it as a subscription in my email and talked him in to letting me put it back up. He was worried that it was a little abrasive but I convinced him that it wasn't. What he says makes a lot of sense. I'm forwarding this whole thread to the IT guys to see if they can come up with anything. I apologize for the slowness of the forum. Believe me when I tell you that none of the Admins or Mods here have anything to do with technical issues.

ORIGINAL: rat4spd

You're missing the COMMON DENOMINATOR. It's only THIS website that I frequent that is this slow. The "it's you're computer, it's you're cookies, it's you're firewall, it's you're browser, etc, etc........." is only valid if everything runs slow.

For me, only this site runs slow, and it's not 100% of the time which implicates further, something on the serverside. And let's get one thing straight, with up to 25Mb/s, ANYTHING less than instantaneous is SLOW. Several seconds is not acceptable for any webpage. Like I said though, I tolerate it because this is a good website.

I'm sure there are some people whose computer fits the ever present KNEE JERK reaction of the "It's you're computer" automatic with no investigation catch all, fit all answer, but not in my case.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

rat for speed. I have nine computers on the internet. All 5 to ten years old most with 1 gig processer. They all access the site with good speed. It can not be the site. End of story.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:57 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something is going on. There is a very noticeable slow-down and I have having a high volume of pages not loading.

There is some extra paths now in the URLs that I've noticed. What's the t_mode/s_mode stuff that is getting embedded now? Some pages think they are "done" and leave me blank. The ad banners are sometimes there, sometimes not.

I am on a broadband connection and typically have no issues.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:56 PM
rat4spd
Novice

Ok, you guys got me, you're right, my computers are crap.