Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Is this forum slow to load for anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Brad40
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this forum slow to load for anyone else?

I will try all these fixes later and let you know DevilsReject thanks for the info .

Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a fairly new member here but the one thing I have noticed since the startis how slow the pages from this forum load. Sometimes only 10 or 20 seconds but usually closer to a minute or two. I get the same response at home with cable connection, on my laptop with wireless connection or at work. I am a member of a couple of other forums and don't have any speed issues with them. By no stretch of the imagination am I a computer expert but I'm not prepared to start messing with my computersto try to fixwhat appears to my simple mind to be a site specific problem. I did a trace route and emailed it to Amanda.

Steve

Old 09-22-2007, 11:08 PM
DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: RexBuck

I'm a fairly new member here but the one thing I have noticed since the startis how slow the pages from this forum load. Sometimes only 10 or 20 seconds but usually closer to a minute or two. I get the same response at home with cable connection, on my laptop with wireless connection or at work. I am a member of a couple of other forums and don't have any speed issues with them. By no stretch of the imagination am I a computer expert but I'm not prepared to start messing with my computersto try to fixwhat appears to my simple mind to be a site specific problem. I did a trace route and emailed it to Amanda.

Steve
Ideally, we feel the same way. However, this isnt just our site that's having this issue....tons of forums are dealing with this very same issue, and most of it is due in large part to the service provider (the person who supplies your internet).

Right now, we are hard at work on tackling this issue, and we hope that you will bare with us.

The fix I posted was by no means something we wanted everyone to do, it was merely an option for people who are computer savvy or people willing to try...

Old 09-23-2007, 05:01 AM
AceHog
Road Captain

Atleast we have have some feed back and I thank you for that, but I don't see anything changing soon as this problem has existed for awhile on this site in particular. I guess we either live with it or move on. I find myself using this site less and less while looking for other HD sites of intrest. Maybe when the hits are down management will take a larger interest. Sorry that's the way I feel from a site that's good but could be great.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:34 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate that. However, at the risk of offending the many who work hard on this site, this is the only forum I follow (and I do tap into a few) that is anywhere near this slow. I reject the argument that it is the ISP as I have had the same speed problems with this forumthrough 3 different ISPs.

One thing that I did notice is that a couple of other forums on the same format (ie: same apparent supplier)as this one were as fast as I would normally expect. The difference seems to be the number of messages loaded on each page. This forum does up to 40 while it looks like others only do 15 or 20. That alone could be taxing your servers.

Steve

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

Steve
Ideally, we feel the same way. However, this isnt just our site that's having this issue....tons of forums are dealing with this very same issue, and most of it is due in large part to the service provider (the person who supplies your internet).

Right now, we are hard at work on tackling this issue, and we hope that you will bare with us.

The fix I posted was by no means something we wanted everyone to do, it was merely an option for people who are computer savvy or people willing to try...

Old 09-24-2007, 07:29 AM
DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: AceHog

Atleast we have have some feed back and I thank you for that, but I don't see anything changing soon as this problem has existed for awhile on this site in particular. I guess we either live with it or move on. I find myself using this site less and less while looking for other HD sites of intrest. Maybe when the hits are down management will take a larger interest. Sorry that's the way I feel from a site that's good but could be great.

I appreciate that. However, at the risk of offending the many who work hard on this site, this is the only forum I follow (and I do tap into a few) that is anywhere near this slow. I reject the argument that it is the ISP as I have had the same speed problems with this forumthrough 3 different ISPs.

One thing that I did notice is that a couple of other forums on the same format (ie: same apparent supplier)as this one were as fast as I would normally expect. The difference seems to be the number of messages loaded on each page. This forum does up to 40 while it looks like others only do 15 or 20. That alone could be taxing your servers.

Steve

Ironically, if many of you did some searches on the web with regards to this issue, you'd find that many people are saying the exact same thing as you. The problems arent limited to one site, or one person. Every single post about problems like this all have the same common issues:

1.) I can connect to every site I go to but this one just fine
2.) My connection at this site is ridiculously slow, but everywhere else is fast
3.) All the other forums I connect to are faster then this one

I am a moderator or member of 20+ forums....and experience ZERO of the issues that any one of you has described. I'm a member of 3 of the largest automotive forums on the web, and I dont experience these issues. Yet, any one of you is having this issue.

Here's the real kicker, in that most ISP's nowadays are the same company, just broken up into smaller groups. So just because your local provider is different, doesnt mean that your service is. I'm in no way saying this is 100% accurate, but it's a generalization that fits about 70% of the market.

I've dealt with Comcast about this issue. I can show you countless complaints to Comcast with regard to this specific issue alone. Is Comcast alone in this problem? Nope. This issue is affecting all providers, but Comcast the most it seems. We do very much take this issue seriously, and the number of hits on this website is irrelevant, as the quality of the service we provide takes priority over how many people view the site. It may not seem that way to you, but its hard to troubleshoot a problem when we cant duplicate it on our end. Every single one of the trace routes that you have sent in has shown issues on your connections. This isnt YOUR fault. This is an issue on how your connection is being routed.

To explain it better, it's like giving someone the long directions to your house instead of the quick, short cut way.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 AM
txgeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Working fine here - AT&T DSL and I am at the end of the 3 mile limitation.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 AM
HDRick
Road Warrior

The only slowness that I notice is with Photos in the Signature area. Something seems to to happening from Photobucket. If I take a Photobucket link and put "www." in front of it , it works fine. Your site is really smooth and fast if I just turn off sig pics in my profile. Avatars work fine. Go figure. Thought I would pass it along. I have *** cable here in central Florida with 1 MB down and 8 MB up. Thanks for all your hard work.
Rick

Should have said selected "Don't show images in post" and makes everything better. Some images post perfectly and others just cause slowness and time outs.