Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Is this forum slow to load for anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:46 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is this forum slow to load for anyone else?

It is definitely slower than it used to be. Used to be instant. Now it takes 30 seconds or longer for each thread. Really getting annoying. Is there a fix? I'm not having any problems with any other sites.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:33 PM
JohnC88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem when I try to access the forum from work. It is painful and I have just given up.It isn't worth the hassle. It all started about the time of the server upgrade. At home it seems OK.

The only difference I am aware of is that at work I have to run IE and and home I run Firefox.

Glad to see it isn't just me.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run on DSL and live in Montana. The posts on this forum load almost instantly; only takes some time when there a hundreds of posts ina thread - as in Punisher Girl, GA Girl, and all of the other posts related to the ladies, but they're worth waiting for. Haven't even attempted the Cleavage Showdown.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:00 PM
superglide06
Tourer

i have at@t dsl service...no probs here

Old 09-04-2007, 10:18 AM
LTrain
Road Master

I also usually give up. I came here to post about the ABATE MDA ride in South Bend, IN on Sunday, but gave up after waiting so long, and only stuck around to come here and see if maybe I can get some grease if I'm a squeeky wheel.

I used to come into the forums every day, now only to see if things have gotten better. I might have to find another way to waste my downtime at work.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
DevilsReject

IF you are having these kinds of issues, weNEED to know about them.

It could be settings that are messed up on your end, it could be a bad connection on our end, it could be a dozen different things very easily. I'd rather try to work thru them and get them fixed then have an upset member feeling neglected or unappreciated.

Give me an idea of what the page is/isnt doing and I'll try to respond in kind.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 AM
LTrain
Road Master

Almost 2:20 to get the main page to load.

Over two minutes to get into this forum, but I didn't keep track because I went away to do something else.

Over a minute to open this thread.

Almost a minute to get to this dialogue box.

All my other web pages today have been normal (as they have on other days) including gmail, google, yahoo, www.rumored.com, wikipedia, post secret, myspace, and the bank I use.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: LTrain

Almost 2:20 to get the main page to load.

Over two minutes to get into this forum, but I didn't keep track because I went away to do something else.

Over a minute to open this thread.

Almost a minute to get to this dialogue box.

All my other web pages today have been normal (as they have on other days) including gmail, google, yahoo, www.rumored.com, wikipedia, post secret, myspace, and the bank I use.
Okay, what I'd like for you to do is a couple of things....

1.) Clear all your temporary internet files/cookies - These can be done by going to the top of IE and clicking Tools > Internet Options.

If you are in IE7, which most people should be, you would click the DELETE tab under browsing history and then allow it to clear all the histories.

2.) I'd like you to try this..... and paste the results you get...

To perform a trace route on your computer, you go to the Start bar in the lower left, and click on it. You will then scroll up to the word Run and click on it.

After you click on it, a window will appear. In this window, type the letters CMD. You can do this in lower case if you prefer, it doesnt matter. (Windows 98 & Millenium users you will need to type the word Command instead of CMD)

A new window will appear. This is called the DOS prompt. I cropped the window down, but it can appear larger then it does below.

First things first, we need to go up to the top left corner and right click on the little icon with the C:\ inside it.

Doing so will give you a few options to click on. We want to scroll down to Properties and click on it.

A new window will appear. We want to check mark the box marked Quick Edit Mode. Then click OK at the bottom.

Once this is done, a new window ask you to modify some settings, simply mimic what you see in the picture below and click OK. What this has done is allow us to copy the text out of the DOS prompt window so that you can paste the trace route info into a post or email. Now we are ready to perform a trace route.

To start, type the words tracert followed by the website address. In this instance, I used Harley Davidson Forums (www.hdforums.com) so your window should look like this below only with the website you are trying to trace.....the only thing you would change for another forum is what is between the www. and the .com

Once you've done that, click Enter. You will begin to see a list of numbers and text appear. This could take up to 5 minutes worst case scenario, especially if you are on dialup. Once done, you should have a list similar to this....

Once the list is complete, start at the very top of the list, left click, and drag the mouse across ALL of the text that shows up. This will auto

Old 09-04-2007, 12:00 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

IF you are having these kinds of issues, weNEED to know about them.

It could be settings that are messed up on your end, it could be a bad connection on our end, it could be a dozen different things very easily. I'd rather try to work thru them and get them fixed then have an upset member feeling neglected or unappreciated.

Give me an idea of what the page is/isnt doing and I'll try to respond in kind.
I haven't timed anything but my experience pretty much mirrors LTrain's experience. I'm sure it could be a number of things but it started happening right after your server upgrade. I have made no changes to my computers (home, work) at all.

Oh, and if anybody really cares, how come I got no response to my email (a few weeks ago) to Amanda about this?

Old 09-04-2007, 01:26 PM
DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: JohnC88
I haven't timed anything but my experience pretty much mirrors LTrain's experience. I'm sure it could be a number of things but it started happening right after your server upgrade. I have made no changes to my computers (home, work) at all.

Oh, and if anybody really cares, how come I got no response to my email (a few weeks ago) to Amanda about this?
Amandaadministrates something like 40-50 forums, and mostly runs them from behind the scenes. Do you realize how much email she gets? She's trying to make sure everything gets done, and that's why I'm in here talking with you about it. I understand your frustration, as I'm on several of the forums as both Site mod's and Admin.

All I'm asking is that you keep the info coming and if need be, you can PM me directly and I will speak to Amanda, as I do daily.

Quick Reply: Is this forum slow to load for anyone else?