Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Error messages on computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:50 AM
DevilsReject
Default RE: Error messages on computer

Thanks for the ego boost there HeatherC, I dunno about genius, but I'm dangerous enough

ORIGINAL: Sinkinfast

You may want to run Spybot, Search and Destroy. It looks for Spware. Google it, it's free.

Internet Exploder is a virus magnet, try running Firefox as your browser instead, way better browser, and far more secure. Free also from here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/

Spyware removal tools can often help fix browser issues. Buildup of spyware, adware, cookies, and various other items can often cause a browser to act weird or crash. Since you arent experiencing this issue elsewhere, odds are you do not need to worry about this as your issue. Still, it's not a bad habit to get yourself into.

Firefox isntbetter then Internet Explorer, it has its problems. It is however a good alternative to Internet Explorer and based on its design, is at least initially more secure then IE. Once you start modifying the basic browser, it becomes just as problematic as IE.

ORIGINAL: grunt

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc
Well, I'm not that great at computers, but I log into Yahoo. I'm sure you are right, but I wonder why it is only with the HD forums it does this.
Yahoo is just your homepage. You most likely are running IE. And it still points to a polluted browser DLL/plugin as I posted earlier. All it takes isthis website making a call to the problem area and you're down. Hence the need to reinstall the browser/plugins.
Grunt hit it on the nose, chances are you have a .dll or plug-in problem. Since it only affects you here at HDF, it's possible it could be any number of .dll's.

These 3 plug-in's below are pretty normal for webpage errors, but are not the only ones.

1.) Java corruption
2.) Adobe Flash corruption
3.) Adobe Shockware corruption

The bottom 2 are used in tons of animated pictures and videos. The top one is used for alot of online game sites like pogo.com or the online games at yahoo.com. It also is used in some webpage coding as well. I would suggest going to adobe.com and downloading the latest flash and shockwave plug-in.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi? (Shockwave Plug-in)

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash(Flash Plug-in)

This may or may not fix the issue, but it will definitely rule it out if it doesnt. Just make sure to de-select the Google toolbar when you install these.

If you are having issues just clicking back on this site, you might try another method of doing this. Along the top of every post, thread, or section, shows the path you took to get into that section. Kind of like a outline if you will. These are clickable links that you can click on to backtrack to previous sections or even the main page.

Example...

HD Forums Main Page >> Off Topic >> Humor >> The post you are creating or reading

You will have these at the top of every page on this forum. You can also view the picture below for a better idea.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19040/6A59755676394EF0988BB8E111743E05.jpg[/IMG]