Flathead A place to talk about Flathead motors.

Classic panhead ok for novice rider?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM
papisox
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic panhead ok for novice rider?

Looking at purchasing my first bike and really like the 40's and 50's Harleys. Reading online seems like they aren't really good for novices, what is you opinion? Are they that hard to ride? Thanks

Old 08-16-2011, 07:02 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Not that hard to ride, but a 50 or 60 year old bike ain't going to be that reliable unless you're willing to keep at the maintenance, and that maintenance is time consuming. Skip it and you'll be sitting alongside the road doing corrective maintenance rather than preventive maintenance. For the typical "novice" the maintenance is a mystery. It isn't necessarily difficult if you have decent mechanic-type skills, but it simply can not be skipped or done haphazardly.

To look at it a different way; would you buy a 1953 Chevy as your every-day transportation?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Idaho Scootertrash
Advanced

You may have "cool factor" over your buddys but don't think that you're gunna keep up with 'em. I ride hard, all day long @ 80 mph, 400+ days minimum and you just can't do that, day after day, with an older bike. I had very well maintained Shovels that just couldn't do it. It was hard, but I gave up on Shovelheads finally about 6 years ago.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 PM
FXSTS93
Cruiser

Yeah what they said!
I would never recommend a Harley as a first bike (let the beatingS begin) I say that because - one' You will drop your bike! Everyone does, two' I'd have anyone start on something smaller (450 +) plenty of power without a lot of weight. Get use to riding, learn a little about maintenance and do your "damage" on it. Then buy your Harley!
Plus if I had a Pan and I damaged it ... hard to sleep at night.

Good Luck and welcome to a wonderful way of living!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM
NickNico
Novice

I love the classic bikes but for a novice rider there are things to consider. 40's 50's brake technology sucked. I mean you really gotta plan ahead to stop. Take a modern bikes stoping distance and multipy by 4 . . . at least. I've found myself partway into an intersection on my flatheads, YIKES!!! Really, not just sayin' but the front brakes just had no stopping power. Not like todays Brembos, Wow! Take a riders course they will tell you anywhere from 70 to 85% of your stopping power is in your front brakes.

Now picture this, new rider. You have to use your left foot to "pull" in the clutch. Take your hand off the handlebars to shift gears.

Yup I think you should get a classic bike, really experience a connection with the road. But get some riding experience on a modern bike first, you don't need to be in a hurry, but you do need to strengthen your riding skills.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hot Rods are nice--&
Hot Rods are fun--&
Hot Rods...oh, my
Hot Rods...but--oh my!
Those Hot Rods, do, take
All my nickles & dimes!

Last edited by Chunk; 08-28-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

agree with some of the answers. first it will be slower than the rest, less power, unless its been modified. get something newer. more than likely your going to pay more for that old one than a much newer one. leaving you on the side of the road, well one a couple of years old can do that. if you like working on them then id say go for it. if you rather ride more than wrench then get a newer one. perfect world = old one for riding now and then and newer for riding more.