Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Help me finally make up my mind already!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:38 AM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me finally make up my mind already!

I'm going to plunk down my green and buy my exhaust setup sometime next week. I have narrowed down my choices to three setups and I was hoping that people that have these setups could help me make up my mind on what one to get. All three setups are very close in price so price isn't really a determining factor.

All three packages will have a KN 3909 AC kit and a VH Fuel Pak to handle the fuel.. I know several will tell me not to get the fuelpak, but exhaust and ac is all that I'll ever be doing so for me it seems to be the easiest setup (plus with the pc3 having startup problems i'm kind of straying back to vh).

First setup is inspired by Gmoney220: His exact system (except for the fuelpak) <- correction

- Thundercone mufflers with heatshield
- VH Dresser Duals (header pipes)
- KN 3909 AC
- VH Fuelpak

price $1136 (maybe cheaper if I can get the heat shields thrown in for free)

2nd Setup

- VH Big Shot Duals
- KN 3909 AC
- VH Fuelpak

price $909

3rd setup:

- Thunderheader 2 into 1 with heatshield
- KN 3909 AC
- VH Fuelpak

price $939

I not so sure if I want the single pipe look for my bagger.. probably prefer not to have the 2 into 1 look. I could add the false pipe to the 2 into 1 TH for about another $100.

My first choice was always the VH Big Shot Duals based on old experience with the sound of them. The only down side is that they look a tiny bit small on the bagger. Then I listened to Gmoney's soundbyte of his setup and damn really did soundreal deep and nice. The thundercone mufflers aren't really looking much bigger than the VH Big Shot duals so the looks is a toss up between the two.

My biggest problem is that I haven't heard all of the setups in person and I really don't want to wait until later in the season to change out my pipes. Out of these three systems what ones do you feel sounds the best.

I would like to order the pipes by no later than next week and maybe as early as tomorrow.

Please help, Raph

Old 04-10-2007, 01:03 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts
Default RE: Help me finally make up my mind already!

Rineharts are not on the list, but they sure sound good and perform pretty well. The thunderheader sounds bad a$$ and performs well, but is really loud. Personally I wouldn't buy anything unless you hear it first, trust me it can get real expensive.[:@]

Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 AM
scarygt
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rideon

Rineharts are not on the list, but they sure sound good and perform pretty well. The thunderheader sounds bad a$$ and performs well, but is really loud. Personally I wouldn't buy anything unless you hear it first, trust me it can get real expensive.[:@]
Ok the rineharts setup would be around $1400 after I purchased the lounder performance baffles. I have heard this setup and I'm not convinced that I like it as much as the VH big shotsound.

Ok guys go ahead and include the rineharts into the group of choices.

Thanks, Ralph

Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned several bikes over the years....and put V&H on all of them....because it's a known commodity. Sound good...look good....last forever....fit right....etc.

Why screw with it? I say go with the V&H.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing for nothing, but all this hooplah over Reinhart pipes seems way over rated. I test drove a used Fatboy fitted with Reinhart's. Yes they sounded mean, but so doesn't my V&H straight shot HS's, same quality up close, and my V&H's were $370 less. Maybe Reinharts do make more power, but for my casuall riding style,i'm not striving for every last bit of HP. I'll dump the saved $370 into somemore praticall accesories.... like CHROME!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:14 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Come on folks I'm sure that some of you need something to do today during your work hours.... Post up your experiences with these different pipes and help me decide on which one to get.

Thanks, Ralph

Old 04-10-2007, 10:06 PM
scarygt
Road Master

bump for myself! I guess everyone is sick of the old exhaust questions!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 PM
scarygt
Road Master

So I guess I'm impatient becauseI purchased the Thunderheader Mufflers with the Vance and Hines Dresser Duals tonight. Gmoney220, thanks for posting your soundbytes and answering some of my PMs.

Now I'm hyped to get these things... I'll have them within the next few days. I'll actually have them priorto my scheduled 1000 mile maintenance; man it will be difficult not putting them on until then! [sm=headbang.gif] The 1000 mile service is scheduled for next Thursday. Friday will be the day of Thunder around Mr. Scary's house! I can't wait!!!! [sm=drooldude.gif]

Thanks, Ralph

Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Custom07RKC
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the V&H Big Shot true dual, K&N 3909 and a SERT (because I am planning on doing more motor work later and didn't want to buy a FuelPak now and have to get something else in the future) and I really like the look, sound, and performance of my setup. Just my opinion though. The dealership I bought my bike at has sold 4 pipe setups just like mine because of people seeing and hearing my bike at different times I have been there.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 PM
scarygt
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Custom07RKC

I have the V&H Big Shot true dual, K&N 3909 and a SERT (because I am planning on doing more motor work later and didn't want to buy a FuelPak now and have to get something else in the future) and I really like the look, sound, and performance of my setup. Just my opinion though. The dealership I bought my bike at has sold 4 pipe setups just like mine because of people seeing and hearing my bike at different times I have been there.
Don't get me wrong I love the sound of the VH Big Shots... I guess I didn't want to be stuck with that setup forever. I like having mufflers so if I ever get sick of my setup I can just change the mufflers. I also think mufflers take up a little more space under the bags and look a little better in my opinion. I haven't heard this setup yet so hopefully I didn't make a mistake on these. I talked with Gmoney via PMs at one point and from what he told me plus hearing his video I decided that this was a cool setup. I'll give you my opinion after I install everything.

Thanks, Ralph

Quick Reply: Help me finally make up my mind already!