Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

FYI, for guys with 2" pipes.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:01 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts
Default FYI, for guys with 2" pipes.....

I was looking for quieter baffles for my V&H long shots. Been running V&H Quiet Baffles and they are anything but quiet. Anyways, I happened to see a ad for clearance sale on Dennis Kirks site and found Freedom Performance Baffles for $22.50 per pair (plus $8 shipping). Normally they are $99.00. I just installed them and gotta say they are noticeably quieter than V&H quiet baffles without losing the nice throaty rumble. Also, low end torque is great. The part number is AC00009. Btw, These baffles fit a little sloppy in 2" pipes so I bent the lip out a little with a vice grip to prevent rattling.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM
Deathmechanic
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the same thing on ebay. I've got V&H True Duals with their "quiet" baffles. I almost bought those VTwin baffles that come wrapped to try to take the drone out but I heard that the center is only like 1 1/4". Already tried the Smartpartz baffles and lost too much power. Thought about these and was ready to pull the trigger when I saw your post. Now I feel even better about it. Just waiting for them to arrive now. Aren't your pipes actually 2 1/4" I.D. like mine?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:10 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deathmechanic
I saw the same thing on ebay. I've got V&H True Duals with their "quiet" baffles. I almost bought those VTwin baffles that come wrapped to try to take the drone out but I heard that the center is only like 1 1/4". Already tried the Smartpartz baffles and lost too much power. Thought about these and was ready to pull the trigger when I saw your post. Now I feel even better about it. Just waiting for them to arrive now. Aren't your pipes actually 2 1/4" I.D. like mine?
My long shots are 2 1/4" O.D. and about 2 1/16" I.D. The clearance baffles are 2" O.D. HTH

Old 08-22-2014, 04:22 AM
Deathmechanic
3rd Gear

K. Well, I got a few vice grips to choose from. I'll measure again when they get here. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Let me know how they work for you.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Deathmechanic
3rd Gear

Well, I got 'em! It looks like my pipes are 2 1/8" O.D. They fit Perfect!
Actually had to file off a few burrs before they would go in. I decided to coat the ends with some Anti-Seize (gotta be the messiest product on the planet) so I'd be able to remove them easier later on. I think the spot welds on the baffles are some of the worst I've ever seen, that I didn't do myself. They come with new screws, which is nice, and they appear thin enough in the center to give me the option to wrap them, if I so desire, but not too thin to restrict flow like some baffles. Some pics...

Attached Thumbnails FYI, for guys with 2" pipes.....-img_20140828_122847303-1-.jpg   FYI, for guys with 2" pipes.....-img_20140828_122541479-1-.jpg   FYI, for guys with 2" pipes.....-img_20140828_122925533-1-.jpg   FYI, for guys with 2" pipes.....-img_20140828_124247851-1-.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 02:03 PM
Deathmechanic
3rd Gear

For my pipes, the O.D. is the same as my "V&H Quiet Baffles".

THE VERDICT: They have a decent tone. Compared to the QB's, it is more higher pitched and allows a lot more of the mechanical sounds through, (tapping, puffing, sharper noises), but that didn't surprise me. Many of those sounds might almost disappear if I pulled them back out and wrapped them. They didn't seem much quieter when I fired it up in the garage, but a trip around the block revealed a HUGE difference. They are much quieter. No more booming echo down the residential streets. Taking the bike up my local version of Pikes Peak, it also lost a little power, though not as much as when I added the Smartpartz baffles behind the QB's.

There is a tube which runs the entire length of the baffle, right through the center. It definitely restricts flow so I'm thinking of removing it. This should help with the power loss and give a little more sound. It's just spot welded in so it's easy to put back if I don't like it. Right now, they are just a little too quiet for me. If I remove the tube and wrap the baffle, it will look very similar to the Rush baffles which have the kind of sound I'm looking for. I think I can make these $30 gems work for me.

If you have V&H True Duals on your Softail, and just want to quiet them down, these baffles are a no brainer.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:13 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deathmechanic
For my pipes, the O.D. is the same as my "V&H Quiet Baffles".

THE VERDICT: They have a decent tone. Compared to the QB's, it is more higher pitched and allows a lot more of the mechanical sounds through, (tapping, puffing, sharper noises), but that didn't surprise me. Many of those sounds might almost disappear if I pulled them back out and wrapped them. They didn't seem much quieter when I fired it up in the garage, but a trip around the block revealed a HUGE difference. They are much quieter. No more booming echo down the residential streets. Taking the bike up my local version of Pikes Peak, it also lost a little power, though not as much as when I added the Smartpartz baffles behind the QB's.

There is a tube which runs the entire length of the baffle, right through the center. It definitely restricts flow so I'm thinking of removing it. This should help with the power loss and give a little more sound. It's just spot welded in so it's easy to put back if I don't like it. Right now, they are just a little too quiet for me. If I remove the tube and wrap the baffle, it will look very similar to the Rush baffles which have the kind of sound I'm looking for. I think I can make these $30 gems work for me.

If you have V&H True Duals on your Softail, and just want to quiet them down, these baffles are a no brainer.
Usually, loss of low end power is due to "not" enough back pressure. I ended up wrapping just half of the narrow part (very tightly with fine wire). This deepened the sound and added just enough back pressure to improve low end power. Maybe this will also work for you. Over-all, these baffles are a great deal for $30. JMO

Old 08-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Deathmechanic
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by HDmikie
Usually, loss of low end power is due to "not" enough back pressure. I ended up wrapping just half of the narrow part (very tightly with fine wire). This deepened the sound and added just enough back pressure to improve low end power. Maybe this will also work for you. Over-all, these baffles are a great deal for $30. JMO
Low end is fine. Mid-range and top end have fallen off. I've got a very steep hill in my daily commute that is just over a quarter mile long. With the V&H quiets, I can maintain 55-60 mph, with a steady throttle, in 4th gear. Add the Smartpartz and I had to shift into 3rd half way up the hill. With these new baffles, I can stay in 4th, but I have to progressively roll on more throttle and end up backing off a bit toward the top so I'm not pushing it too hard.

Hadn't thought about only wrapping half the baffle, but I'll keep that in mind as I'm experimenting. It's good to have options. When you say "wire", do you mean wire mesh, or are you sealing it off with small gauge "fine wire"?

Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I find it hard to believe that the V&H quiet baffles are too loud. After swapping the standard "cheese grater" baffles for the QBs, I'm wondering if my bike is running.

Quick Reply: FYI, for guys with 2" pipes.....