Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Big City Thunder baffles: HOLY MOLY LOUD!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Big City Thunder baffles: HOLY MOLY LOUD!!!!!

Just for stupid giggles, I bought a set of Big City Thunder monster Baffles. Last night I bolted them in. Very simple to install, however B/C recommends a specific 3" minimuminstalled length from the end of your pipe so you will most likely need to drill an additional5/16" hole in your pipe. I needed the 2" baffles for my V&H straight shot HS pipes.So for the moment of truth, I lite my bike off, and I swear to god, I thought I was hearing a 124" hot bike right out of Orange County !!!! These things are so deep, and so loud, you swear you have straight pipes without that annoying top end nasty open dragpipe sound. The B/C baffles are about 6" long, and are stepshaped like an hour glass. The also use a neat smallround restrictor welded inside the baffle that resembles a 3/8" flat washer . This must create the needed backpressure to keep the valves cool, and maintain good exhaust scavenging. These B/C baffles are almost too loud, but I must admit, I absolutely LOVED the tone. I am not a WOT gear bangin' pilot so I probably will leave the baffles in. As far as enginerunning, my bike seems to run exactly the same as it did with the stock V&H HS baffles.
_Clam

Old 04-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Joatmon
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Big City Thunder baffles: HOLY MOLY LOUD!!!!!

Thanks for the info on BCT I understand every thing but the 3/8" washer like weld is it just like that with a 3/8" hole in the middle of the baffle if so that seams to be a lot of restriction or I'm looking at it wrong?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:44 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The 3/8 washer is nothing more than a variation of the lollipop trick that people have been using for decades. The BC baffles are little more than a 5 buck baffle with a lollipop in them. I feel certain that this is the reason BCT doesn't give you much of a look at them on their website. They realize that people will see them for what they are (or aren't) and just fab up their own.

I needed some more back pressure when adding Duals. I made some 1" lollipops and put them in the headpipes just in front of my baffled mufflers.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/E5294A28658F4BB182EC644E87AD3999.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 12:33 PM
F117ewo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BCT solution is a bit low tech, but it works. For those of us without a torch in the garage to fab up the baffles, it works plenty good. That said, they are still pretty pricey items, but I like mine a lot.

Jake

Old 04-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: F117ewo

The BCT solution is a bit low tech, but it works. For those of us without a torch in the garage to fab up the baffles, it works plenty good. That said, they are still pretty pricey items, but I like mine a lot.

Jake
BC sends you a in depth literature writeup showing some dyno runs and explaining the R&D they put into the baffles. I only was able to put on about 15 mi, as it's been SO cold here in NH, but I did notice an awesome pulling midrange! There is definately a serious amount of torque to be uncorked on a stock TC88! Me personally.... i'll pay the $80 for the baffles knowing the R&D has been already done, and I won't cook my engine's top end from open drag pipes....